Easy to make Brussel Sprouts stir-fried with coconut…
This is a Kerala style dish, any veggies can be used for making this dish. I had leftover Brussel sprouts, hence used that for making this thoran. Turned out pretty delicious. It can be served along with rice, roti, chapati, etc.
- Coconut Oil- 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds- ½ tsp
- Dried whole red chilies- 2
- Curry leaves- 1 sprig
- Shallots, sliced- 3
- Brussel Sprouts, quartered- 25
- Water- 1 cup
- Chili powder- ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder- ¼ tsp
- Grated coconut- ½ cup
- Salt- 1½ tsp
- Place a sauepan over medium heat.
- Add oil, let turn hot.
- Add mustard seeds, let splutter.
- Add cumin seeds, dried red chilies and curry leaves; saute for a few seconds.
- Add shallots, season with ½ tsp salt. Saute till translucent.
- Add brussel sprouts, and 1 cup water.
- Cook covered for 7 minutes till brussel sprouts turn soft.
- Add chili powder, turmeric powder and 1 tsp salt. Combine well.
- Add grated coconut, combine well and stir fry for 3 minutes.
- Increase the heat to high, stir fry for a few minutes till coconut starts to turn light brown. Tastes better.
- Taste and add more salt if required.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Keep covered.
- Serve this along with rice, roti, chapati etc.