Chicken, carrot, mushrooms and potatoes combined with Asian sauces, made into patties and pan fried, delicious cutlets loved by everyone…
Chicken or veggie cutlets are popular evening snacks in South India. Deep fried and crispy cutlets are a delightful treat to both kids and adults. The other day, while making cutlets I stepped out of my comfort zone and made Asian flavored cutlets. I added carrots and Asian sauces along with cooked chicken, and pan fried the cutlets instead of deep frying it. Tasted delicious, this is definitely a perfect appetizer or evening snack.
Asian style Carrot Chicken Cutlets- Pan Fried Chicken Cutlets
Recipe type: snack
- Cooked chicken, shredded- 1½ cups
- Oil- 1½ tbsp
- Carrot, shredded- 1, large carrot
- Onion, chopped small- 1
- Mushrooms, shredded- 1 cup
- Ginger, minced- 1 tsp
- Garlic, minced- 1 tsp
- Soy sauce- 1 tbsp
- Hoisin sauce- 1 tbsp
- Ground pepper- ½ tsp
- Tomato ketchup- 2 tbsp
- Cooked potato, mashed- 2, medium sized
- Spring onions, chopped- 1 stalk
- Cilantro, chopped- 2 handfuls
- Salt- to taste
- Oil- for pan frying the cutlets or deep frying
- Egg, beaten- 2 (or use whites of 2 eggs)
- Bread crumbs
- Season 1 chicken breast with salt and ground pepper, cook covered till the chicken has cooked well, let cool down and shred it using a fork or with your hands.
- Cook the potatoes in the microwave or in boiling water. Let cool down, peel of the skin and mash with wooden spoon. Keep aside.
- Place a pan or wok over medium heat, add oil.
- Add ginger and garlic minced, saute till golden in color.
- Add onion, saute till translucent.
- Add shredded carrots and mushrooms along with ¼ cup water.
- Cook covered till the veggies have almost cooked.
- Add soy sauce, hoisin sauce, tomato ketchup and ground pepper, combine well and cook for a minute.
- Add the shredded cooked chicken, combine well and cook for a minute.
- If there is any liquid in the mixture, cook over high heat till the liquid dries off.
- Add the mashed potatoes, along with spring onions and cilantro, combine well.
- Taste and add more salt if needed.
- Remove the pan from the heat, let the mixture cool down.
- Make medium sized patties, flatten between the palm of your hands, keep aside.
- You could either pan fry or deep fry the cutlets.
- Heat oil in a frying pan: 4 tbsp for pan frying and more for deep frying.
- Dip the patties first in beaten egg and then coat it evenly with bread crumbs.
- Place the patties over the oil, pan fry till both sides turn golden brown in color or deep fry.
- Transfer to a kitchen paper towel, serve warm along with any Asian dipping sauce.