15 Minute Instant Pot Quinoa Khichdi or Porridge…
This has turned into my favorite dish with quinoa. Healthy, nutritious and filling khichdi or porridge. Khichdi or Khichadi is a rice & lentil based dish, quite popular in India. Authentic khichdi is made out of rice and lentils. I’ve replaced rice with quinoa, turned out awesome.
- Ghee- 2 tbsp
- Dried bay leaf- 1
- Garlic, chopped- 2 cloves
- Ginger, chopped- 1 tbsp
- Green chilies, chopped- 2
- Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
- Onion, chopped- 1
- Salt- 1½ tsp
- Carrot, chopped- 1
- Tomato, chopped- 1
- Toor Dal or Mung Dal- ¾ cup (rinsed)
- Quinoa- ¾ cup
- Turmeric powder- ½ tsp
- Garam Masala- ¾ tsp
- Water- 3 cups
- Cilantro, chopped- ¼ cup
- Turn on the Instant Pot.
- Select Saute setting at normal temperature.
- When the display turns hot, add 1 tbsp ghee.
- Add dried bay leaf, chopped garlic, ginger, cumin seeds and green chilies; saute for 3 minutes.
- Add onion and 1 tsp salt. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add carrot, tomato, toor dal, quinoa, turmeric powder, garam masala, water and cilantro; combine well.
- I've used toor dal, you can also use yellow mung dal, rinsed well under running water.
- I didn't rinse or soak the quinoa, added directly to the pot from the packet.
- Close with the lid.
- Cancel Saute. Select Pressure cook setting, set TIME TO 10 minutes at high pressure.
- If using 7 in 1 duo IP, turn the pressure valve to SEALING.
- After 10 minutes of pressure cooking, do a quick pressure release. You can do natural pressure release also. I've zero patience and tend to do quick pressure release while cooking in IP 🙂
- Open the lid, taste the khichdi and add salt if required.
- Add 1 tbsp ghee and combine well to the khichdi; tastes delicious.
- Serve into soup bowls and enjoy this healthy and nutritious khichdi.
You can skip sauteing ginger/garlic/onions; dump all the ingredients into the pot and pressure cook for 10 minutes.
Can be also made with just quinoa without the toor dal.