Tres Leches cake or milk cake, it just melts in your mouth…
Let me introduce my new favourite cake, Tres Leches. It’s an ultra-soft, light, fluffy & absolutely divine cake. A popular cake in Mexico & Latin America, that has stolen the hearts of many around the world.
I baked this cake for my birthday & I’m glad I picked this cake to celebrate my special day. My hubs & I couldn’t stop with just one slice, so irresistible & divine.
What’s amazing is the recipe only calls for simple ingredients that are always seen in our refrigerator & pantry. It’s basically a sponge cake soaked in 3 kinds of milk & topped with whipped cream frosting.
I’ve soaked the cake overnight, soaking didn’t make the cake soggy, it was moist yet firm. This cake is also perfect for those without a sweet tooth, not overly sweet. It’s my kind of cake, incredibly yummy.
Perfect make-ahead cake for any special occasion or holiday.
- Egg whites- from 4 eggs
- Lemon juice- ½ tsp (or add white vinegar or cream of tartar)
- Sugar- ½ cup
- Egg yolks- 2
- Milk- ½ cup
- Vanilla extract- 1 tsp
- All-purpose flour- ¾ cup
- Baking powder- 1 tsp
- Salt- ¼ tsp
- Milk or heavy cream- ½ cup
- Evaporated milk- ½ cup
- Sweetened condensed milk- ½ cup
- Heavy whipping cream, cold- 1½ cups
- Powdered sugar- 2 tbsp
- Vanilla extract- 1 tsp
- Cocoa powder
- Chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F or 175 C.
- In a bowl, beat at high speed- egg whites, sugar & lemon juice till soft peaks have formed. Keep it aside.
- Instead of lemon juice, white vinegar or cream of tartar can be added.
- In another bowl, beat egg yolks, milk & vanilla extract till pale & fluffy.
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder & salt.
- Add the flour mix to the beaten egg yolks, beat at low speed till well incorporated.
- Gently fold in the beaten egg whites in 3 additions.
- Do not over mix the batter.
- Grease a square or rectangle 8-inch baking pan with butter, line with parchment paper.
- Pour the cake batter to the pan.
- Place in the preheated oven on the middle rack.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, insert a knife or toothpick into the center of the cake, it should come out clean.
- Take the cake pan out of the oven, let cool down completely on a wire rack.
- Transfer the cake to a large square casserole.
- In a bowl, combine the 3 kinds of milk & combine well.
- Pour the milk mixture over the cake.
- Refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours or overnight.
- Whip cold heavy whipping cream at high speed, with sugar and vanilla extract till soft peaks have formed.
- If there is milk mixture on top of the soaked cake, using a spoon remove the milk. Save it, tastes yum.
- Frost the cake with whipped cream.
- Sprinkle cocoa powder. This is optional.
- Top with halved strawberries & pistachios.
- On the sides place chocolate chips. This is optional.
- Refrigerate for an hour, frosting will set well.
- Absolutely decadent cake, it will just melt in your mouth. Divine!