Tapioca stir fry along with spicy tamarind sauce is just irresistible…
Tapioca is a staple in South India, boiled tapiocas are served as an evening snack or it can be combined with fish or meat which makes a perfect meal. However, tapioca along with fish curry has been one of the most favorite dishes of people in Kerala.
Making tapioca stir fry is pretty easy, you just have to boil the tapiocas and then stir fry it with coconut and other seasonings. Usually, I make a spicy and tangy tamarind sauce, tapiocas dipped in this sauce taste even more better.
For more tapioca recipes click here
Spicy Tamarind sauce
- Tapioca or Yuca root, chopped- 2
- Oil- 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds- 2 tsp
- Whole red dry chili- 2
- Curry leaves- 1 sprig
- Turmeric powder- ¼ tsp
- Coconut grated- ½ cup
- Salt- to taste
- Chili powder- 1 tbsp
- Tamarind juice- 2 inch tamarind soaked in ⅛ cup warm water
- Salt- to taste
- Peel the skin off the tapioca.
- Cut into rounds and then half them.
- Add the cut tapiocas to a large saucepan, cover with water, season with salt.
- Boil the tapiocas till it turns fork tender. Drain the water and keep the cooked tapiocas aside.
- Place a wok over medium heat, add oil, let it turn hot.
- Add mustard seeds, let it splutter.
- Add red dry chilies, saute for a few seconds.
- Add curry leaves and turmeric powder, saute.
- Add grated coconut, stir fry till coconut turns light golden in color.
- Add the boiled tapiocas and stir fry for a few minutes.
- Sprinkle more salt if needed.
- Remove the wok from the heat and serve on a platter.
- Soak the fresh tamarind in water, drain the juice.
- Combine the chili powder, tamarind juice and salt well.
- Dip the tapiocas in the sauce and enjoy.