Soya Varutharacha Curry
Recipe type: Curry
- Soya Chunks- 3 cups (soaked in water for 15 mins)
- Grated coconut- ½ cup
- Chili Powder- 1½ tsp
- Coriander Powder- 2 tbsp
- Pepper powder- 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder- ½ tsp
- Water- ¾ cup
- Oil- 3 tbsp
- Mustard seed- 1 tbsp
- Cumin seed- 1 tbsp
- Onion- 1 chopped
- Ginger paste- ½ tsp
- Garlic paste- ½ tsp
- Tomatoes, cubed- 2
- Curry leaves- 1 sprig
- Salt- 1½ tsp
- Coconut milk- 1 cup
- Garam Masala- 1 tsp
- Lemon juice- ½ tbsp
- Cilantro chopped- ¼ cup
- Soak the soya chunks in water for 15 minutes, after that drain the water & keep aside the soya chunks.
Roasting & making coconut paste
- Place a pan over medium heat, add grated coconut & dry roast till it turns golden brown.
- Add the spices- chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric, and pepper powder & roast for 2 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Let cool down.
- To a blender jar, add the roasted coconut & ¾ cup water; grind to a smooth paste.
- Add oil to a hot pan. Splutter the mustard and cumin seeds. Now add the onion.
- Cook till onions turn translucent, add the ginger and garlic paste; cook till onions turn golden in color.
- Add the tomatoes. Cook until the tomatoes are mashed well.
- Add the ground roasted coconut, curry leaves, salt, and cook for a few minutes until the oil clears out.
- Add the soaked & drained soya chunks, combine well & let the masala evenly coat on the soya chunks.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook till the masala thickens.
- Add the coconut milk, let come to a slight boil.
- If the curry is thick, add some water to thin it down.
- Add the garam masala and lemon juice. Let simmer for 3 minutes.
- Finally, garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Remove the pan from the heat & keep it covered.
- Enjoy with rice, chapati, roti, etc.