Rich, creamy & finger-licking delish white chicken curry…
This is a popular Pakistani dish, made with very minimal ingredients yet tastes absolutely scrumptious. I cooked this in the Instant Pot & will be ready in just 30 minutes.
Bone-in chicken has to be marinated in yogurt for at least an hour & then cooked along with cashew nut paste. Cashew nut paste will make the gravy rich & creamy. It’s a mildly spicy chicken curry that goes well with ghee rice, vegetable pulao, or plain basmati rice.
- Chicken legs or bone-in pieces- 8 to 10
- Yogurt- 1 cup
- White pepper powder- 1 tsp
- Garam masala- 1 tsp
- Salt- 1 tsp
- Ghee- 2 tbsp
- Whole green cardamom- 3
- Whole cinnamon- 2 inch slice
- Dried bay leaves- 2
- Onion, chopped- 2
- Green chilies- 3
- Salt- ½ tsp
- Cashew nut paste- 20 cashews ground with ¼ cup water
- Cilantro, chopped- ¼ cup
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken with the above-mentioned 'for marination ingredients.
- Chicken legs or any bone-in pieces can be taken.
- Allow the chicken to marinate for at least an hour or more.
- To a blender jar, add 20 cashew nuts along with ¼ cup. Grind to a smooth paste.
- Select Saute setting on the Instant Pot. Temperature should be Medium.
- Let the stainless steel pot turn hot.
- Add ghee, whole cardamom, cinnamon & dried bay leaves. Saute for a few seconds.
- Add onions, season with ½ tsp salt. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Don't cook till the onions turn brown.
- Add green chilies, combine well.
- If you want this curry to be spicy, add more green chilies as per your heat level.
- Add the marinated chicken, add all the marinade that's stuck to the bowl; combine well.
- Add the cashew nut paste.
- Rinse the jar used for grinding cashew nuts with ¼ cup water & add that. Combine well.
- Ensure the pot hasn't turned brown, this is to avoid Burn error while pressure cooking.
- Close the pot with the lid.
- Cancel Saute setting.
- Select Pressure Cook, set time to 15 minutes at high pressure.
- After 15 minutes of pressure cooking, let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes & then do a quick pressure release.
- Open the lid. Perfectly cooked white chicken curry.
- There will be enough gravy in the pot, let's thicken the gravy.
- Select Saute setting at medium temperature.
- Cook for 3 minutes till the gravy slightly thickens.
- Taste & add more salt if required.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- Remove the pot from the main pot & keep it covered for some time. The gravy will further thicken when it rests.
- Serve into a bowl, enjoy with ghee rice, pulao or plain basmati rice.
- Absolutely aromatic & delicious white chicken curry.