Flan- a rich, creamy and delicious dessert made in the Instant Pot…
This is the first dessert i’m making in the Instant Pot. I’ve been trying many savory dishes in the IP and everything has turned out great. Check all the awesome recipes here.
Flan is one of the easiest desserts you can make and it only calls for a few basic ingredients like egg, milk and sugar, that’s it…with these you can make an incredible dessert. Flan is the first ever dessert I’d made when I was 16 years old, obviously it’s the easy recipe that tempted me to try it. Back then, I steam cooked the flan in a large pan.
I’d been thinking of making a dessert in the Instant pot and the first dessert that came to my mind was flan. I’m so glad I went with flan, turned out perfect. The texture of the flan is amazing- smooth and creamy. It’s such a rich and delicious dessert that can be made effortlessly.
In the Instant pot, I pressure cooked for 10 minutes with Natural pressure release (NPR). The pressure was released completely in 10 minutes. Hence, the total cooking time was 20 minutes in the IP.
I caramelized the sugar in a saucepan, in 10 minutes of cooking the sugar, perfect dark golden brown caramelized sugar was ready. Poured the egg/milk over the caramelized sugar and pressure cooked for 10 minutes. Couldn’t get any easier.
If you are looking for an easy dessert to make in the Instant pot, this is the one- give it a try and I’m sure you are going to love this flan. Do watch me make Flan in the video below.
Thanks for stopping by, Love & Peace.
Happy cooking- Thas 🙂
- Sugar- ½ cup
- Water- 2 tbsp
- Eggs, large- 4
- Milk- 1½ cups (1%, 2% or whole milk)
- Sugar- ½ cup
- Vanilla extract- 1 tsp
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs until smooth.
- Add milk to the beaten eggs, whisk well.
- Add sugar, whisk well till sugar has dissolved completely.
- Add vanilla extract, combine well. Keep aside.
- Place a non-stick or stainless steel saucepan over medium heat, add the sugar and water, let the sugar completely dissolve in water.
- After the sugar syrup starts to bubble don't stir the syrup.
- Cook until the sugar turns golden brown in color. It will take 10 minutes.
- Immediately remove the pan from the stove.
- Have the ramekins ready.
- Immediately pour the caramelized sugar into each ramekin to form the bottom layer, give it a swirl and let it stand for 2 minutes to set.
- Over the caramelized sugar, pour the prepared milk and egg mixture.
- Cover the ramekins with aluminum foil and keep aside.
- Turn on the Instant Pot.
- Add 1 cup water to the stainless steel pot.
- Place a trivet over the water.
- Place the ramekins on the trivet.
- I am using 7 in 1 Duo 6 quart, only 2 ramekins can be placed on the trivet. The other 2, I stacked them over the 2 ramekins on the trivet- this works really well and we can cook 4 flans at the same time.
- Close the pot with the lid.
- Turn the knob to SEALING.
- Click on Manual, High pressure. Set the Time to 10 Minutes.
- After the pressure cooking has completed, do a Natural Pressure Release.
- After 10 minutes, I found that the pressure was completely released.
- Open the lid, wear an oven mitt and take the ramekins out of the pot.
- Remove the foil and insert a fork into the center of the flans, if it comes out clean it has cooked well.
- Chill the flans in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours.
- After chilling, run a knife through the sides of the flan to loosen it up from the ramekin.
- Cover the ramekin with a dessert plate, gently flip it over, the flan will nicely fall onto the plate.
- Dig in, it's rich, creamy and just melts into your mouth...the caramelized sugar makes the flan even more delicious...Yum Yum Yummmm.