Decadent & Moist black forest cake…
Rich chocolate cake baked in the Instant Pot Duo Crisp & Air Fryer bake feature. Chocolate cake with cherry filling, covered with whipped cream frosting & sprinkled with grated chocolate. It’s delicious.
Instant Pot Black Forest Cake Recipe
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 8 wedges
For making cake batter
- All purpose flour- ½ cup
- Unsweetened cocoa powder- ½ cup
- Powdered sugar- 1 cup
- Eggs, room temperature- 3 large
- Baking powder- 1½ tsp
- Salt- ¼ tsp
- Oil- ½ cup (I used light olive oil)
- Milk- ½ cup
- Vanilla extract- 1½ tsp
For making whipped cream frosting
- Heavy whipping cream- 1½ cups
- Powdered sugar- ¼ cup
- Cherry filling
- Cherries for topping
- Grated or shaved chocolate
- In a bowl, combine all purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking powder & salt. Keep it aside.
- I've taken 1: 1 ratio flour & cocoa powder, this will impart a rich intense cocoa flavour. If you prefer mild cocoa taste: add ¾ cup flour & ¼ cup cocoa powder.
- In a large bowl, beat powdered sugar and eggs using a whisk or an electric hand mixer, till they turn smooth without any lumps.
- Add oil, whisk well.
- Add vanilla extract and combine well.
- Add half of the flour mix to the wet ingredients, combine well using a silicone spatula.
- Add ¼ cup milk, combine well.
- Add the rest of the flour mix, mix well and then add the remaining ¼ cup milk; combine well.
- Using a whisk combine the cake batter without any lumps.
- Take 8-inch diameter springform pan or a regular round cake pan.
- Grease with melted butter, line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper.
- Pour the cake batter onto the pan.
- I found slight dripping through the sides of the springform pan, so wrapped the bottom of the pan with aluminum foil.
- I've used Instant Pot Duo Crisp & Air Fryer to bake the cake, it has the bake feature.
- Place the stainless steel pot into the main pot. Place the trivet into the stainless steel pot.
- Place the cake pan on the trivet.
- Close with the air fryer lid.
- Select bake, set temperature to 350 F, time 40 minutes.
- After 40 minutes of baking, open the lid.
- Insert a knife or toothpick into the center of the cake, if it comes out clean the inside of the cake has baked well.
- Wear a mitten, gently take the cake pan out of the pot.
- Let the cake cool down a bit.
- Run a butter knife around the edges of the cake pan, this will release the cake from the pan.
- Take the cake out of the pan, place on a cake stand.
- The top part of the cake will be crusty, using a serrated knife trim off the top part.
- Half the cake horizontally using a serrated knife.
- The inside of the cake is very moist & soft.
- Spread the cherry filling on one of the cake halves.
- Place the other cake half on top of the cherry filling. Keep it aside.
Making whipped cream frosting
- I've whipped the frosting in a stand mixer or use an electric hand mixer.
- Add cold heavy whipping cream & powdered sugar into the stand mixer bowl.
- Using the whisk attachment, whip at high speed till soft peaks have formed.
- Frost the cake with the whipped cream frosting.
- Use an angled spatula to frost the cake, spread on the top & sides of the cake.
- Using a 2 M star shaped tip, pipe rosettes on top of the cake.
- Top the rosettes with cherries.
- Sprinkle the cake with grated or shaved chocolate.
- Keep the frosted cake in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours. The frosting & the cake will set well.
- After 2 hours take the cake out of the refrigerator, using a knife cut into wedges.
- Enjoy this decadent & rich black forest cake.