Ground beef & basmati rice cooked in the Instant Pot, a perfect one-pot meal…
Instant Pot Ground Beef & Basmati Rice- One Pot Meal
Recipe type: Main
Serves: 5 people
- Oil- 2 tbsp
- Whole cardamom-2
- Whole cloves- 2
- Whole cinnamon- 1 inch slice
- Dried bay leaves- 2
- Cumin seeds- ½ tsp
- Onion, chopped- 2
- Ginger-Garlic paste- 1 tbsp
- Tomato, chopped- 2
- Ground beef or Ground chicken- 1 lb or ½ kg
- Chili powder- 2 tsp (based on your heat level, reduce to 1 tsp for mild heat)
- Turmeric powder- ¼ tsp
- Cumin powder- ¾ tsp
- Coriander powder- 2 tsp
- Fennel powder- 1 tsp (optional)
- Salt- 1½ tsp
- Curry leaves- 1 sprig (optional)
- Cilantro, chopped- 2 handfuls
- White Basmati rice, rinsed- 2 cups
- Water- 1¾ cups
- Turn on the Instant Pot.
- Select Saute setting, at normal temperature.
- Let hot sign display.
- Add 1 tbsp oil, followed by whole cardamoms, cloves, cinnamon and dried bay leaves.
- Add cumin seeds, saute for a minute.
- Add chopped onions, ginger garlic paste; saute for 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, saute for 2 minutes.
- Add ground beef or chicken; combine well without any lumps.
- Add all the spices: chili, turmeric, cumin, coriander & fennel powder. Add salt and combine well.
- Add curry leaves & cilantro.
- Add rinsed basmati rice. I didn't soak the rice. Please note, should be white basmati rice. Brown basmati rice takes longer time to cook- 20 minutes.
- Add water, combine well.
- Some liquid will ooze out of the ground beef, around ¼ cup; that is the reason I've added only 1¾ cups water.
- Rice: Water ratio in IP should be 1:1 for crips rice and 1 : 1¼ cups for softer rice.
- Close the pot with the lid.
- Cancel saute setting.
- Select pressure cook setting.
- Set time to 6 minutes at high pressure.
- After 6 minutes pressure cooking, do a quick pressure release.
- Open the lid, fluff the rice using a spoon.
- Serve warm along with raita, salad, pickle, etc.