Baby potatoes cooked in a rich tomato and yogurt gravy, finger licking delicious…
I made this in the Instant Pot, firstly pressure cooked the baby potatoes for 5 minutes with QPR. Made the tomato-yogurt gravy and added the baby potatoes and cooked them in the gravy. To add richness, added almond paste. Tasted delish, can be served with chapati, poori, naan, rice etc.
Easy Dum Aloo Recipe- Instant Pot Dum Aloo Recipe
Recipe type: Main
- Baby Potatoes- 15
- Ghee- 1½ tbsp
- Cumin seeds- ¾ tsp
- Dried bay leaves- 2
- Onion, minced- 1
- Almond or Cashew Nuts- 10 (soaked in warm water for 15 minutes, peel off skin and grind to paste)
- Homemade Tomato Puree- 2 tomatoes (plunged in boiling water for 5 mins, peel off skin and puree)
- Kashmiri Red Chili powder- ½ tbsp
- Regular chili powder- ½ tsp (for spice, add accordingly)
- Turmeric powder- ⅛ tsp
- Coriander powder- ½ tbsp
- Garam Masala- ¾ tsp
- Salt- 1 tsp
- Yogurt- 1 cup
- Dried fenugreek leaves- 1 tbsp (optional)
- Cilantro, chopped- ¼ cup
- Firstly: let's pressure cook baby potatoes- I used Instant Pot. You could use pressure cooker or cook in a saucepan over stovetop.
- Add washed baby potatoes into the stainless steel pot, add 1 cup water. Close the Instant pot with its lid.
- Select Pressure cook setting, srt time to 3 minutes at high pressure.
- After 3 minutes of pressure cooking, do a quick pressure release.
- Drain the water, rinse the potatoes under water taken in a strainer and peel off the skin. Keep aside.
- For making homemade tomato puree: Plunge 2 tomatoes in boiling water for 5 minutes. Peel off the skin and puree in a blender till smooth. I didn't cook the pureed tomatoes.
- For making almond or cashew nut paste: Soak 10 almonds or cashew nuts in warm water for 15 minutes, this will soften the skin. Peel off the skin from the almonds. Grind the nuts along with 2 to 3 tbsp water till smooth.
- Turn on the Instant Pot, place the stainless steel pot. (Or cook in a wide pan over stove top).
- Click on Saute setting at medium temperature.
- Let the pot turn hot.
- Add ghee, to the ghee add cumin seeds and dried bay leaves. Saute for a few seconds till aromatic.
- Add minced onion, season with ½ tsp salt. Saute for 3 minutes.
- Add ground almond or cashew nut paste, cook for 2 minutes.
- Add tomato puree, combine well and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add Kashmiri chili powder, regular chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala and ½ tsp more salt. Combine well and saute for a minute.
- Take yogurt in a bowl & whisk well using a spoon.
- Add yogurt, combine well.
- Let the gravy cook for 3 minutes.
- If the gravy is thick, add ¼ cup water to thin down the gravy.
- Add the cooked baby potatoes, combine well and let cook in the gravy for 3 minutes.
- If using dried fenugreek leaves, add that and chopped cilantro, combine well and cook for a minute.
- Remove the stainless steel pot from the main pot, keep covered for 5 minutes.
- Serve along with naan, chapati, parathas, poori or rice.