Soba noodles are made from buckwheat flour, have a nutty flavor and tastes incredible when stir fried with chicken and veggies…
Recently, I came across soba noodles at the Asian isle in the grocery store. I became curious and soon got into the investigation mode. The noodle has brown color and on the ingredients list it said: buckwheat flour and enriched wheat flour. Buckwheat flour, huh? I kind of liked that as I had tried buckwheat before and loved it. A couple of packs of buckwheat soba noodles literally hopped into my shopping cart.
I am a huge stir fry fan as it gives me the liberty to add any kinds of meats, veggies, noodles or pastas, sauces and just stir fry them together and it’s ready in no time. So, with soba noodles I did the same. Stir fried the chicken, veggies and added the cooked soba noodles. It was a one pot meal and tasted delicious.
Health benefits of Soba Noodles
- Low in calories
- High Manganese content- helps in wound healing, maintains healthy cartilage and bone
- High glycemic load
However, soba noodles lack vitamins and minerals. So, making a stir fry with them by adding meat, veggies, nuts is a great way of serving this noodles.
Note: Most Soba noodles have enriched wheat flour added to it, Gluten free folks please make sure to get the one without wheat.
- Oil- 1 tbsp
- Chicken breasts, cubed- 2 breasts or use beef strips
- Ground pepper ½ tsp
- Soya sauce, low-sodium- 1½ tbsp
- Green pepper, cubed- 1
- Celery, diced- 1 stalk
- Bok Choy or any other greens, chopped - 2 stalk
- Carrot, diced- 1
- Hoisin sauce- 2 tbsp
- Sambal Oelek or Chili paste- 1 tsp ( or use chili powder)
- Rice vinegar- 1 tbsp
- Soba noodles, cooked- 1 packet
- Soy sauce- 1 tbsp
- Cilantro, chopped- 2 handfuls (optional)
- Sesame oil- 1 tsp
- Sesame seeds- 1 tbsp
- Cook soba noodles in boiling water till they turn tender, don't over cook them. Drain the water, drizzle ½ tbsp oil over the noodles, combine well and keep aside.
- Place a wok over medium heat, add oil.
- Add cubed chicken breasts or beef strips, season with ground pepper and 1½ tbsp soy sauce. Combine well and stir fry at medium high heat till the chicken or beef has cooked well.
- Transfer the stir fried chicken or beef onto a plate. Keep aside.
- In the same wok, add green pepper, celery, bok choy and carrot, stir fry for a few minutes till the veggies turn slightly tender, don't over cook them.
- Add the cooked chicken or beef to the veggies.
- Add hoisin sauce, sambal oelek and rice vinegar, combine well and stir fry for a minute.
- Add the cooked soba noodles, combine to the meat and veggies.
- Add 1 tbsp soya sauce, stir fry for a minute.
- Finally, add cilantro, sesame oil and sesame seeds, stir fry for a minute.
- Remove the wok from the heat, dish out and serve immediately.