Chicken cooked in an amazing onion-tomato-cashew nut-poppy seeds gravy…
This is a finger-licking delicious curry, the gravy is just incredible. I cooked this in the Instant Pot, cooked the onion-tomato masala in saute setting, pureed the gravy & pressure cooked the chicken in the gravy.
Absolutely delicious curry, and can be served with rice, ghee rice, chapati, paratha, poori, etc.
Chicken In Cashew Nut Poppy Seeds Gravy | Instant Pot Pressure Cooked Recipe
Recipe type: Main
Serves: 4 people
For marinating chicken
- Chicken legs or bone-in pieces- 8
- Kashmiri chili powder- 1½ tsp
- Turmeric powder- ⅛ tsp
- Garam masala- ½ tsp
- Salt- 1 tsp
For making the gravy
- Oil- 1 tbsp
- Onion, chopped- 2
- Ginger-garlic paste- 1 tbsp
- Green chilies, halved- 2
- Tomato, chopped- 2
- Kashmiri chili powder- 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder- ⅛ tsp
- Coriander powder- ½ tbsp
- Fennel powder- 2 tsp
- Garam masala- 1 tsp
- Salt- 1½ tsp
- Water- ½ cup
- Poppy seeds- ½ tbsp
- Cashew nuts- ½ cup
- Water- 1½ cups (while grinding)
- Cilantro, chopped- ¼ cup
- In a bowl, combine chicken with the mentioned ingredients 'for marinating chicken'. Let marinate for 30 minutes.
- I'm using Instant Pot for cooking this curry.
- Select saute setting, temperature should be normal or medium.
- Let the stainless steel pot turn hot.
- Add oil, onions & season with ½ tsp salt. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add ginger-garlic paste & green chilies, saute till onions turn golden in color.
- Add tomatoes, cook till tomatoes have slightly mashed up.
- Add the spices- chili, turmeric, coriander, fennel powder, garam masala & salt; combine well.
- Add ½ cup water & cook for 2 minutes.
- Add poppy seeds & cashew nuts, cook for 2 minutes.
- Cancel saute setting & take the pot out of the main pot.
- Let the onion-tomato mixture cool down a bit.
- Transfer to a blender jar, add 1½ cups water & grind till smooth paste.
- Transfer the gravy to the stainless steel pot. If you're using the same stainless steel pot used for cooking the gravy masala, ensure the pot is clean & nothing is stuck to the pot. Otherwise, the pot will turn brown very fast while pressure cooking.
- Place the pot into the main pot.
- Add the marinated chicken to the gravy, combine well.
- If the gravy is too thick, add ½ cup more water. If the gravy is thick, while pressure cooking the gravy can be stuck to the stainless steel pot & the Instant Pot will give out burn error.
- Close the pot with the lid.
- Select pressure cook setting, set the time to 10 minutes at high pressure.
- After pressure cooking, let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes & then do a quick pressure release.
- Open the lid.
- Give everything a good mix.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- Serve the curry in a bowl & enjoy with rice, chapati, paratha, poori, etc.