Hand-picked apples turned into a scrumptious apple crumble cake…
It’s Fall, it’s apple season and I went apple picking. One of the activities I look forward to in the Fall. What a joy picking amazing varieties of apples from the orchard. The apples picked right from the trees taste so fresh & crisp. Sharing a few pictures.
I’ve been making both sweet & savory dishes with apples. My hubs & I enjoy apple cake, hence turned a few apples into a decadent cake.
This is an easy recipe, loved the addition of ground cinnamon in this cake, the house smelled divine while baking. The cake batter is topped with a crumble when baked turned buttery & crunchy.
This comforting cake, on a Fall evening, devoured with a cup of chai or coffee; feels magical.
Apple Crumble Cake
- Apple, diced small- 2
- Butter, unsalted, and slightly melted- 1 stick or ½ cup or 8 tbsp
- Brown sugar- 1½ cups
- Eggs- 2, large
- Vanilla extract- 1 tsp
- All-purpose flour or gluten-free flour- 2 cups
- Baking soda- 1 tsp
- Ground cinnamon- 1 tsp
- Salt- ½ tsp
- Yogurt- 1 cup
- All-purpose flour or gluten-free flour- ¼ cup
- White sugar or Brown sugar- ¼ cup
- Butter, slightly softened- ¼ cup or ½ stick
- Ground cinnamon- ¼ tsp
- In a large bowl, sift together all-purpose flour, baking soda, salt, and ground cinnamon.
- In another bowl combine butter and brown sugar, cream them using an electric hand mixer.
- Add eggs to it, one at a time, and beat well.
- Now, add half of the dry ingredients: all-purpose flour, salt, baking soda, and ground cinnamon to the mixture.
- Add half of the yogurt and vanilla extract, combine well.
- Add the rest of the dry ingredients followed by yogurt, combine well.
- Fold in the chopped apple into the mixture and combine well.
- Grease an 8-inch baking pan with 1 tbsp butter, pour the batter onto the pan and smooth out the top.
- In a bowl, combine using your clean hand: all-purpose flour, white or brown sugar, butter, and ground cinnamon till it resembles a coarse crumb texture.
- Make sure the butter is softened.
- I've added white sugar, that's the reason the crumble has a pale white color. Brown sugar will impart a nice golden color.
- Evenly top the cake batter with the crumble.
- Preheat the oven to 350F or 175 C.
- Place the cake pan on the middle rack.
- Bake for 40 minutes or till a fork inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- After 40 minutes, if the center hasn't cooked well, place the pan on the upper rack and bake for another 5 more minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven, let stand in the pan for 10 minutes, by doing this the center of the cake will turn firm.
- Cut into wedges and serve warm.
- This cake tastes delish when warm along with a cup of tea or coffee. It's comforting & delish.
- Leftovers can be refrigerated, slightly warm up the cake in the microwave for 20 seconds before serving.