Aromatic & Delectable Ghee rice made in the Instant Pot, ready in just 10 minutes…
Ghee rice is popular rice served in Malabar, Kerala. It’s made during special occasions or when served on a regular day will turn that day into a special one. White basmati rice and other ingredients are roasted in ghee or clarified butter and cooked along with water. Ghee is the key ingredient and will make the rice aromatic and extremely delicious.
For making this, white basmati rice has to be used. Basmati rice is one of the best-tasting rice. Along with ghee, this rice is absolutely incredible.
Making ghee rice in the Instant Pot is a breeze and will be ready in just 10 minutes.
Ghee rice can be served along with chicken, mutton (goat), beef, or veg curries. I enjoyed ghee rice along with cashew chicken that’s cooked in the Instant Pot.
- Garlic- 2 cloves
- Ginger- 2 inch slice
- Green Chilies- 2
- Whole cardamom- 2
- Whole cloves- 2
- Whole cinnamon- 1 inch slice
- Ghee- 4 tbsp (must add, don't replace with oil)
- Dried bay leaf- 1
- Onion, sliced thin- 1
- Salt- 1¼ tsp
- White Basmati Rice, rinsed- 2 cups
- Water- 2¼ cups
- Fried onions- ½ cup (fry 1 thinly sliced onion in oil)
- Roasted Cashew nuts- ¼ cup
- Roasted Raisins- 2 tbsp
- Soak 2 cups of basmati rice in water for 15 minutes, after that rinse in water.
- To a blender jar, add garlic, ginger, green chilies, whole cardamom, cloves & cinnamon.
- Grind to a coarse paste. Don't grind to a smooth paste.
- Turn on the Instant Pot.
- Select Saute setting at Medium Temperature.
- Let the stainless steel pot turn hot.
- Add ghee or clarified butter.
- Ghee is a must add, don't replace it with oil.
- To the ghee add dried bay leaves & onion thinly sliced. Saute for a minute.
- Add 1 tsp salt.
- Add the coarsely ground garlic/ginger/green chili/whole spices.
- Saute till the onion starts to turn light golden in color.
- Do not brown the onions and ensure the bottom of the pot hasn't turned brown.
- Add the soaked & rinsed white basmati rice.
- Roast the rice for 2 minutes.
- Add water, combine well.
- Add ¼ tsp more salt.
- For 2 cups rice, 2¼ cups water is required to pressure cook in the Instant Pot.
- Close with the lid.
- Select pressure cook setting.
- Set time to 6 minutes & at high pressure.
- After 6 minutes of pressure cooking, let pressure release naturally for 5 minutes & then do a quick pressure release.
- Open the lid.
- Perfectly cooked and fluffy ghee rice will be ready and you will be seen inhaling the aroma of this rice.
- Remove the stainless steel pot from the main pot.
- Cover the pot with the lid and keep it aside for 15 minutes if you want the rice to be very soft.
- While the ghee rice is getting pressure cooked, fry the onions.
- Slice 1 onions thin and fry in oil till golden brown. Transfer to a kitchen paper towel.
- Roast cashew nuts in oil or ghee till they turn golden in color.
- Roast raisins in oil or ghee till they plum up.
- Garnish the cooked ghee rice with fried onions, cashew nuts & raisins.
- Enjoy along with chicken, mutton (goat), beef or veg curry. YUM!