It takes a while to get over with the taste of this soup…
Had it not been for the freezing Winter, I wouldn’t have enjoyed soups. In Winter, on a lazy cold day I love to sip a warm delicious soup and cuddle up in the couch watching my favorite TV shows. I had a long day today so making a hearty soup was the only choice I had. I love Mexican cuisine and this Mexican style soup with tortilla and chicken couldn’t get any better. One large bowl of this soup made me feel so good, it’s hearty and the taste lingers to your mouth for a long time.
Recipe for making homemade Tortillas, click here
Cooking the veggies
- Oil- 2 tbsp
- Tortilla, corn or whole wheat- 3, cut into small pieces
- Onion, chopped- 1, large
- Garlic, chopped- 2 large cloves
- Tomatoes, chopped- 2, large
- Cilantro, chopped- 2 handful
- Red Kidney beans, canned- 1 can
- Chicken stock, low-sodium- 2½ cups or use 1 bouillon cube dissolved in 2 cups water
- Chicken breast, diced- 2 breasts
- Ground Cumin- 1 tsp
- Red chili powder- ¾ tsp (use Kashmiri chili powder for less spice)
- Salt- if needed
- Corn starch- 1 tbsp dissolved in 1 tbsp cold water
- Jalapeño, pickled- 3 slices/bowl
- Cilantro chopped
- Red onion chopped
- Sour cream
- Crispy tortilla or crispy tacos, cut into slices
- Place a large soup pot or wide pan over medium heat.
- Add oil and add tortilla slices, saute till it turns crispy.
- Add onion, sprinkle a dash of salt, saute till translucent.
- Add garlic, saute for a minute.
- Add tomatoes, saute for a minute.
- Add cilantro and red kidney beans, saute for a few minutes.
- Add ground cumin and chili powder, combine well.
- Add chicken stock, let it come to a slight boil.
- Add the diced chicken breasts submerged into the liquid into the pot.
- Cover and cook till the chicken has cooked well.
- Add the corn starch dissolved in water to the soup, combine well till it thickens.
- Remove the pan from the heat and ladle the soup into a bowl.
- Garnish the soup with jalapenos, cilantro, red onion, sour cream and crispy tortilla.
- For making homemade Tortillas, recipe here