Here are my top 10 tips to make your Biryani taste better:
- Use fresh ingredients – onions, ginger, garlic, green chilies, cilantro, mint and curry leaves.
- Marinate the chicken overnight in the refrigerator so that all the flavors will get into it.
- Shallow fry the marinated chicken/meat before combining it with the masala.
- When you cook the rice: add whole cardamoms, cloves, cinnamon, bay leaves, cumin seeds along with the rice.
- If you’re not frying the chicken or meat: cook the meat by adding little more water, drain the water from the cooked meat and cook the rice in that flavorful water. This way the rice will taste absolutely delicious. Recipe
- Don’t forget to Dum the biryani (final slow cooking after layering the rice and chicken/meat masala). Cover the biryani pot with aluminum foil and close with its lid, place on very low heat and cook for 15 minutes.
- Use fresh fried onions (fry the onions in oil till it turns golden brown) and absolutely not store bought ones.
- Sprinkle fresh Mint leaves over the rice layers, the aroma of mint leaves makes the biryani taste a whole lot better (my favorite)
- To enhance the taste further, sprinkle saffron (2 pinches) soaked in 3 tbsp milk or water over the rice while layering.
- Using pure Coconut oil while shallow frying the chicken or while cooking the masala part will impart a nice aroma to the biryani.
Try these and everyone will rave about your biryani!!! Let me know your thoughts or your tips in the comments below.