Colorful vegetarian comfort food…
Lately, I have been embracing bright colors. I now dare to wear bright colorful clothes, carry colorful bags, walk on colorful shoes and my latest favorite lipstick color is fuschia. Yes, I am all about bright colors now. It’s just not me the entire fashion world is talking and wearing color. I always used to be a neutral color loving girl and always fell for beige, cappuccino color, bronze etc and used to frown at red, yellow, orange. Well, I am out of my comfort zone. I now feel color actually makes everyone cheerful and happy, ins’t it? Oh, talking about colors I am reminded of the colorful houses in my hometown. Last time, when I had visited my hometown, I was astonished to see all the houses painted in bright colors including my parent’s house. At first, I couldn’t help laughing at those colors, believe me my parents house now has a parrot green color. I even saw houses painted in pink, fluorescent colors, purple, orange, yellow etc. Looks more like a candy house
Nevertheless, I’ve always loved to cook colorful dishes. The natural gorgeous colors of many fruits and veggies have always amazed me; the red color of pomegranate, wine red color of beetroot, intense yellow color of lemon, the list is endless. They are just stunners!
Yesterday, I decided to make some colorful vegetarian dishes. One dish that flashed through my mind instantly was lemon rice which has a marvelous yellow color. It’s not the lemon but the turmeric powder that imparts the yellow color to the lemon rice. Also, it’s been ages since I’ve made lemon rice so I felt very enthusiastic about making lemon rice.
Lemon rice is a South Indian vegetarian delicacy, often served for lunch along with pickle and yogurt. It’s a comfort food for many South Indians, the lemon juice imparts a slight tartness to the rice and the seasonings make the rice taste delicious.
- Canola oil or vegetable oil or Ghee- 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds- ½ tbsp
- Chana dal- 1 tbsp
- Urad dal- ½ tbsp
- Curry leaves- 1 sprig
- Green chilly, chopped- 1, large
- Whole dry red chilly- 2
- Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
- Lemon juice, freshly squeezed- ¼ cup
- Basmati rice, cooked- 2½ cups
- Salt- to taste
- Cook basmati rice in a rice cooker along with salt and water. I used 2½ cups of cooked basmati rice, you can make more according to your needs.
- Have the freshly squeezed lemon juice ready.
- Place a large pan over medium heat, add oil or ghee.
- Add mustard seeds, let it splutter.
- Add chana dal, saute till it turns light golden.
- Add urad dal, saute till it turns light golden.
- Add curry leaves, whole dry red chilly and chopped green chillies, saute for a few seconds.
- Lower the heat and add turmeric powder, saute for a couple of seconds, don’t burn it.
- Immediately, add lemon juice, give it a stir.
- Add cooked rice, combine well without any lumps, cook for a minute.
- Remove from the heat and keep it covered.
- Serve lemon rice with pickle, yogurt or any of your favorite veggie side dish.