It is a very delicious and delightful dish used in the middle and northern part of Kerala.This classic and lip smacking Kerala Delicacy is a one pot meal, smaller rice dumplings are steamed and mixed with the flavorful meat / prawn dishes.
- Rice Powder : 1 Cup
- Water : 1 Cup
- Fennel Seeds : ½ tsp
- Coconut grated : ½ cup
- Shallots : 2-3
- Salt : to taste
- Chicken : 500g (cut into medium size pieces)
- Onion : 2
- Pearl Onions : 7 to 8
- Ginger-Garlic Paste : 2 tsp
- Red Chilly Powder: 2tsp
- Coriander Powder: 3tsp
- Turmeric Powder : ½ tsp
- Fennel Seeds : 1 tsp
- Coconut Grated : 1 cup
- Curry Leaves : 3 to 4 springs
- Salt : to taste
- Coconut Oil
- Boil water with salt, fennel seeds, shallots crushed and grated coconut.
- When it boils well, add the rice powder little by little, mix well and switch off the flame.
- Knead it well to make a smooth dough (like,pathiri or idiyappam)
- Apply little oil or water to the palms.
- Make small balls and press in the centre to make a shape as shown in the picture.
- After making all pidis, steam them for 10 -15 minutes.
- Heat ½ tsp coconut oil in pan and add the grated coconut with 2 to 3 shallots sliced, curry leaves and fennel seeds.
- Roast well to dark brown color and switch off the flame.
- Add red chilly powder and coriander powder into it and combine well
- When it cools, grind into a smooth consistency.
- Crush the 5-6 pearl onions and keep aside.
- Pressure Cook the chicken with the pearl onions crushed, ginger garlic paste, turmeric powder and sliced onions.
- After cooking this add the ground mixture and allow to boil in medium flame.
- Heat 3 tbsp coconut oil in a pan and add 2 to 3 shallots sliced and 2 sprigs of curry leaves.
- When the onions become brown in color and a nice aroma comes, pour this into the curry and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Finally mix the gravy and prepared pidis together and keep over low flame for 4 to 5 minutes till it has combined well.
To see all the 880 recipes published so far, please go to the recipe index.
If you enjoyed this post, subscribe to receive future posts