Crispy Kale fritters or pakoras, perfect as an evening snack with a cup of cardamom tea…
Kale has been one of my staple greens, I add them to my salads, curries, smoothies, couscous, Kerala style thoran or kale stir fry with grated coconut, scrambled eggs etc etc…The other day, I made fritters or pakoras out of kale and I loved how crispy and crunchy the fried kale leaves turned out. Tasted delicious and was a perfect evening snack along with cardamom tea…
Making Kale Fritters or Pakoras
- Kale leaves, chopped- 2 cups
- Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
- Onion, chopped- 1
- Chili powder- ¾ tsp
- Green chili, chopped- 1
- Gram flour- 1 cup
- Asafoetida- 2 pinches (optional)
- Water- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp
- Salt- ½ tsp
- Oil- enough for frying
- In a large bowl, combine all the above mentioned ingredients except oil. Add water little by little and let the gram flour bind well with the kale leaves.
- Make medium sized balls out of the mixture, flatten between the palm of your hands. Keep aside.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat, add oil.
- Let the oil turn hot, drop the prepared kale balls into the oil and deep fry till both sides turn golden and crispy.
- Transfer to a kitchen paper towel.
- Serve warm along with tea or coffee and enjoy the crunchy and crispy kale fritters or pakoras.