Olan is a unique stew-like dish served in Sadya; cooked in the Instant Pot…
Olan is made by pressure cooking black eyes beans along with winter melon, coconut milk is added while making this dish.
Instant Pot Olan Recipe- Instant Pot kerala Sadya Recipes
Recipe type: Main
Serves: 6 People
- Black eyed beans- ½ cup, soaked for 3 hours
- Ash gourd or winter melon, cubed- 1½ cups
- Green chilies- 3
- Cumin seeds- ¼ tsp
- Thin coconut milk- ¾ cup
- Thick coconut milk- ½ cup
- Salt- 1½ tsp
- Coconut oil- 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Small pearl onions chopped – 3
- Curry leaves- 1 sprig
- Soak the black eyed beans in water for 3 to 4 hrs.
- Add the soaked beans to the stainless steel pot, along with ½ tsp salt and 1½ cups water.
- Close the pot with the lid.
- Select pressure cook setting, set time to 15 minutes at high pressure.
- After 15 minutes pressure cooking, do a quick pressure release. keep aside the cooked beans.
- Into the stainless steel pot, add the diced ash gourd along with green chilies, cumin powder, ½ tsp salt and ½ cup water.
- Select saute setting at normal temperature.
- Cover the pot with a glass lid, cook for 10 minutes till ash gourd turns soft.
- Add the cooked beans along with the liquid to the cooked ash gourd and add ¾ cup thin coconut milk.
- Cook in saute setting for 5 minutes.
- Now add ½ cup thick coconut milk, add salt if needed and combine everything gently.
- Cook for 3 minutes.
Making the seasoning:
- In a small frying pan, heat coconut oil, add mustard seeds, let it splutter. Add small onions and curry leaves.
- Saute until onion turns golden brown and remove from the flame.
- Add this seasoning to the cooked olan. Cover with the lid and let cool down.
- Serve along with rice and enjoy.