In just 15 minutes, the best tasting tomato rice will be ready in the Instant Pot…
I’ve used Basmati rice for making this. Basmati rice is one of the best tasting and flavourful rice and will make tomato rice taste absolutely delicious. In this recipe, I’ve cooked onion and tomato for a couple of minutes before pressure cooking. Soaking the basmati rice in water is not required. Add basmati rice and water, pressure cook for 6 minutes followed by quick pressure release.
For making soft and fluffy rice, water: rice ratio should be 1 cup: 1 1/4 cups. However, for crisp rice, water: rice ratio should be 1 cup:1 cup.
Follow this recipe and you will make the best tasting tomato rice. This can be served along with any kind of curries or can be enjoyed as it is along with raita, plain yogurt or pickle.
- Ghee- 2 tbsp
- Onion, chopped- 1
- Garlic, grated- 1 clove
- Ginger, grated- 1 inch slice
- Green chili, chopped- 1 or 2
- Curry leaves- 10 leaves
- Tomatoes, chopped- 3
- Kashmiri chili powder- 1 tsp (or use regular chili powder)
- Coriander powder- 2 tsp
- Garam Masala- ½ tsp
- Salt- 1¾ tsp
- Water- 2¼ cups
- Basmati rice, rinsed- 2 cups
- Cilantro, chopped- ¼ cup
- Turn on the Saute Mode, temperature should be medium.
- When the hot sign has displayed. Add ghee.
- Add onion, seaosn with ½ tsp salt.
- Add grated garlic, ginger, green chili and curry leaves.
- Cook the onions for 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, combine well and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add Kashmiri chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala and salt; combine well.
- Add water and basmati rice.
- Close the pot with the lid. Ensure pressure release valve is secured in place and lid is tightly closed.
- Cancel Saute mode and select pressure cook mode.
- Set time to 6 minutes at high pressure.
- After pressure cooking has completed, do a quick pressure release.
- Let pressure release completely, open the lid.
- Perfect fluffy and flavorful tomato rice is ready.
- Add chopped cilantro.
- Serve onto a plate and enjoy.