Hash brown and egg cups or muffins, a killer breakfast…
I seldom make fancy breakfast or brunch, not because I am not fancy enough it’s just I am too lazy in the morning to cook. On some weekends, I make waffles or pancakes and that puts a huge smile on my Man’s face.
Last weekend, quite unexpectedly I made these hashbrown and egg cups for brunch. I actually geared up to make pan fried potatoes and sunny side up eggs, half way through I was hit by the thought of cracking the eggs into the hashbrown cups and then baking it.
Indeed, it was a great idea. My Man and I enjoyed this a lot.
After cracking the eggs into the hash brown
- Potatoes- 2 (cook in microwave)
- Green onions, chopped- to garnish
- Olive oil- 2 tbsp
- Shallots or small onion, chopped- 2 shallots or 5 small onions
- Red pepper, chopped small-1
- Paprika- 1 tsp
- Dried oregano- ¾ tsp
- Ground pepper- ¼ tsp
- Salt- a few pinches
- Eggs- 4
- Preheat the oven to 425 F.
- Cook the potatoes in the microwave for 4 to 5 minutes till they are fork tender. Or submerge them in boiling water and cook.
- After it cools down, peel off the skin and grate the potatoes using a grater, keep aside.
- Place a non-stick pan over medium heat, add olive oil.
- Add shallots, season with salt and saute till translucent.
- Add red pepper, season with paprika, dried oregano and ground pepper. Cook for a few minutes till red pepper has turned tender.
- Add grated potatoes, combine well and cook for 3 minutes till everything has cooked well.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let the potato mixture cool down.
- Line the cupcake pan with the cupcake liner.
- Spray the liner with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add 1 to 2 tbsp of prepared potato mixture into the cupcake liner, using your hand press the mixture down and at the side, make some space in the center of the hash brown.
- Crack an egg into the hash brown space.
- Place the pan into the preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven, sprinkle ground pepper, salt and green onions over the cooked eggs.
- Let cool down and serve.