The most delectable and aromatic cooked Rice, which goes well with Chicken curry or Lamb curry..
Is there any ingredient which cannot be mixed with rice? If you want to find an answer, you definitely have to put a lot of thought in this. I literally throw anything from my pantry or from the refrigerator to convert cooked plain rice into a delicious rice dish. If I start counting the number of cooked rice dishes, I will have to count forever. Starting from the most common fried rice, I can make a huge list. Among the many rice dishes I’ve tasted Ghee rice is my favorite. The aroma from the ghee makes the rice rich and flavorful. It’s easy to prepare and it could be served along with chicken or lamb curry.
While cooking Ghee rice, the aroma from the spices and the rice roasting in the ghee will spread all over the house in no time and everyone will be seen taking in few deep breaths.
My mom’s ghee rice is the most delicious I’ve ever tasted and so I always follow her recipe. But this time I made a little twist in the method of preparation to avoid rice from getting soggy. After roasting the rice, I cooked the rice in rice cooker which helped to cook the rice to it’s right constituency, which was fluffy and was able to separate each rice.
To make the delicious ghee rice, you need: good Basmati rice, good quality Ghee and avoid over cooking the rice.
- Basmati Rice, washed in water and drained well- 1 cup
- Water- 1½ cups- if cooking in a rice cooker or 2 cups- if cooking in a saucepan
- Onion, large cut thin lengthwise- 1
- Bay leaves, fresh or dry-2
- Ghee- 4 tbsp
- Salt- to taste
- Fresh ginger, chopped- 1 inch slice
- Fresh garlic chopped-3 cloves
- Green chilly chopped- 2
- Whole cardamom-2
- Whole cloves-2
- Cinnamon- 1 inch slice
- Onions, cut thin lengthwise-2 medium
- Vegetable oil- enough for frying onion
- Cashew nuts, roasted in 1tsp ghee- 10 no's
- Raisins, roasted in 1 tsp ghee- 1 tbsp
- Cilantro, chopped- to garnish
- Grind the above mentioned ingredients in a blender and keep aside.
- Place a saucepan over medium heat, add the ghee.
- To the ghee add the onions, salt, bay leaves and saute until the onion turns translucent.
- Now add the ground mixture and saute until the raw smell of the ginger/garlic goes away.
- Add the rice to this and saute in the ghee until it starts to give out the roasting aroma for about 3 to 4 minutes. Don't brown or over roast the rice.
- Now here is the twist I made: I transferred the roasted rice into the rice cooker pot.
- Rinsed the saucepan in which rice is roasted with ½ cup water and added this water to the rice, along with the remaining 1 cup water. Add more salt if needed.
- Cover the rice cooker pot with its lid and turn on the rice cooker and let cook.
- Fry the onions in oil until golden brown and transfer to a paper towel.
- Roast the cashew nuts in 1 tsp ghee until it turns light golden and keep aside.
- Roast Raisins in 1 tsp ghee till it bubbles up and keep aside.
- When the rice has cooked, separate the grains with fork and transfer the rice into a platter.
- Garnish with fried onions, roasted cashew nuts , roasted raisins and cilantro.
- Serve warm with your favorite veg or non-veg dish.
- If you don't have the rice cooker, follow this method: after roasting the rice, add 2 cups of water to the rice and cover the saucepan with its lid.
- Cook the rice for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Separate the grains with fork.
- Garnish with fried onions, roasted cashew nuts, raisins and cilantro.