Eggs wrapped in puff pastry, a crispy crunchy snack…
Ramadan is around the corner, in Canada it’s starting on Tuesday. A blessed month to get connected with the Almighty God, to cleanse the mind and soul, to help the needy and to be a better human being. I am so looking forward to it.
Had a wonderful weekend roaming around my beautiful city as Sun fest is going on in my city with live music, food and fun. We had a highly unpredictable weather: it rained heavily, it was windy, it was sunny, it was pleasant and beautiful. I don’t mind some showers everyday as I don’t have to water the plants and could save some bucks on water bill.
Some clicks from my garden
Egg puffs is a popular snack in South India, you cannot miss freshly baked egg puffs at any bakeries. The crunchy and crispy puff pastry and the egg roast in it, it’s quite an addiction. Egg lovers go crazy for this particular snack. I am not that of a big fan of eggs and so I seldom make egg puffs. Last time, when I had bought puff pastry I wanted to try egg puffs. It was worth the try as it tasted delicious and a perfect crunchy snack.
After adding boiled eggs
Thawed puff pastry
Cut into squares
Placing the eggs on puff pastry
Egg puffs ready to be baked
- Garlic, chopped- 2 cloves
- Ginger, chopped-1 inch
- Cardamom- 2
- Cloves- 2
- Green chili- 1 or 2
- Boiled eggs- 4 or depending on how many puffs you are making
- Oil- 1 tablespoon
- Onion- 2, cut long and thin
- Kashmiri red chili powder or regular chili powder- ¾ tsp
- Coriander powder- 1½ tsp
- Fennel powder- ½ tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Cilantro, chopped- 2 handfuls
- Puff pastry sheets
- Beaten egg- 1
- Thaw the puff pastry sheets before you start making the egg roast.
- Cook the whole eggs with shells in boiling water for 15 minutes, remove from the water, let it cool down and peel off the shell. Keep aside.
- In a blender, coarsely grind the garlic, ginger, cardamom, cloves and green chili, keep aside.
- Place a large pan over medium heat, add oil.
- Add onions, and a few pinches of salt, saute till translucent.
- Add the coarsely ground paste to the onion, saute well.
- Cook the onions till the onions start to caramelize.
- Add chili powder, coriander powder and fennel powder, combine well.
- Cook for a minute.
- Add the boiled eggs, combine to the onion masala and cook covered for a few minutes.
- Add cilantro, combine well.
- Taste and add more salt if needed.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let the egg roast cool down.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the eggs in the roast to halves and put it back into the onion mixture.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the thawed puff pastry into large squares.
- Place some onion mixture and the halved egg on one of the puff pastry squares.
- Cover it with another puff pastry square, press the ends of the squares it will glue together or add a little water to glue it.
- Using a fork, gently press the fork on the edges of the puff pastry to get a nice fork impression.
- In a small bowl, beat an egg using a whisk.
- Dip a pastry brush into the beaten egg and spread over the puff pastry with the egg filling in it.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Place the prepared egg puffs on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Keep on the middle rack in the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or till the puff pastry has turned crispy and golden in color.
- Remove from the oven, let cool down a bit and serve warm.