A complete meal…
After I got back from work I went straight into the kitchen as I was so sure about what to make for dinner. The other day, I had bought puff pastry and so wanted to make something out of it. Today, my mind was full of chicken pot pie wrapped with puff pastry. I didn’t follow the traditional recipe, instead I followed my own instincts. I made a chicken-veggie-bean filling and topped it with mashed potato and cauliflower, again topped it with cheddar cheese and finally wrapped the pot with puff pastry. As soon as the pot went inside the oven, the kitchen started to smell buttery, it was in deed mesmerizing. I couldn’t wait for the chicken pot pie to come out of the oven bubbly and the puff pastry baked to golden and crispy.
The sight of this dish itself excited my man and he gobbled up without any denial. I absolutely loved the crunchiness from the puff pastry and the buttery flavor and the cheese and the mashed potatoes and the filling…I felt so content!
Step by Step Preparation
Chicken-Veggie filling as first layer
Mashed cauliflower/potato as second layer
Topped with Cheddar cheese
Topped with puff pastry
- Chicken, chopped small- 2 chicken breasts, boneless
- Italian seasoning- 1 tsp
- Oregano- 1 tsp
- Paprika- 1 tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Ground pepper- ½ tsp
- Mixed veggies, frozen- 1½ cups (beans, corn, carrot, peas)
- Red kidney beans, drained- 1 can
- Tomato sauce- 1½ cups
- Potatoes, cooked- 4
- Cauliflower, cooked- ½ of one large cauliflower
- Half and half cream- ½ cup
- Ground pepper- ¼ tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Puff pastry- 3 to 4 sheets
- Egg, beaten- 1
- Cheddar cheese
- Dice the chicken very small, combine chicken with paprika, Italian seasoning, Oregano, ground pepper and salt.
- Cook the chicken covered in a pan till the chicken has cooked well.
- Add the mixed veggies and red kidney beans, cook covered for sometime. If it gets dry add some water and cook.
- After the veggies have cooked well, add tomato sauce and cook for a few minutes till it has thickened.
- Keep aside the filling.
- Cook the potatoes in boiling water till it is fork tender. Peel off the skin and add to a large pan.
- Cook the cauliflower in water till it turns tender, drain the water and add to the cooked potatoes.
- Using a potato masher or wooden spoon, mash the potatoes and cauliflower without any lumps.
- Place the pan over medium heat.
- Add half and half cream to the mashed potato/cauliflower, combine well and cook it.
- Add ground pepper and salt, combine well.
- Remove from the heat and keep aside.
- Thaw the puff pastry.
- Pre heat the oven to 400 or 200 C.
- Have the ramekins ready, add 1 large spoonful of the chicken/veggie/bean filling as the first layer.
- Spread mashed potato/cauliflower as the second layer.
- Add a handful of cheddar cheese on top of the mashed potatoes.
- Cut the puff pastry to round shape depending on the size of the ramekin, there should be an inch of dough hanging on the edges of the ramekin.
- Cover the ramekin with the puff pastry, tuck in the ends.
- In a small bowl, beat an egg well.
- Using a pastry brush, spread the beaten egg over the puff pastry.
- Using a fork, put a few holes on the puff pastry.
- Place the ramekins on a baking sheet and place it in the oven.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or till the puff pastry has turned golden and crispy.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool down a bit.
- Enjoy this delicious chicken pot pie.
To see all the 852 recipes published so far, please go to the recipe index.
If you enjoyed this post, subscribe to receive future posts