Quick and easy barfi made effortlessly in the microwave, in less than 10 minutes you will enjoy these delicious milk and chocolate flavored barfi…
Barfi is a sweet that’s quite popular in India and is served during special occasions and festivals. There are so many different kinds of barfi, it can be made with condensed milk, khoya (milk solids), gram flour (besan), ground cashew nuts, ground pistachios, grated coconut etc.
Barfi is one of my favorite sweets, I can finish a box of barfi in just one sitting, after that I would gladly go into a sweet barfi coma. What I love the most about barfi is that it’s not extremely sweet like some of the other Indian sweets, hence even those who lack a sweet tooth can enjoy it to the fullest. I’d bought a pack of khoya or mawa from the Indian store and had kept it in the freezer. Khoya or mawa is basically solidified milk, it’s made by cooking and reducing whole fat milk till the milk solids are formed. Making khoya from scratch is a bit time consuming process and needs constant stirring of the milk. However, homemade khoya does taste fresh and delicious.
I skipped making khoya from scratch and felt quite happy with the store bought khoya. I did debate for a while whether to make gulam jamuns or barfi with the khoya. The thought of making the quick and easy barfi in the microwave kind of attracted me. It only took less than 10 minutes to make this barfi, and you get to enjoy not one but two flavors: milk and chocolate. After cooking the khoya in the microwave, half of it was combined with cocoa powder for making the chocolate layer.
Tasted phenomenal and I did finish them in just one sitting…
For Coconut Burfi recipe, click here.
Milk barfi layer
Chocolate barfi layer on top
- Khoya or Mawa (solidified milk)- 200 gms or 7 oz
- Powdered sugar- ½ cup (based on your needs)
- Ground cardamom- ⅛ tsp
- Cocoa powder- 2 tsp
- Ghee- 1 to 2 tsp
- Almond or Pistachios- for garnishing
- Khoya or Mawa is available in most Indian grocery stores.
- Take the khoya in a large microwave safe glass bowl, using your hand crumble it.
- Place the bowl in the microwave and cook for 1 minute.
- After 1 minute, take the bowl out of the microwave, combine the khoya well with a spoon.
- Again cook in the microwave for 1 minute. Take it out and combine well with the spoon.
- Keep the bowl back into the microwave and cook for 30 seconds.
- Take it out and combine well. The mixture should be soft.
- Add powdered sugar (based on your needs) to the cooked khoya, combine well and microwave for 30 seconds.
- Take it out and combine well.
- Add ground cardamom and combine well, let cool down.
- Divide the cooked khoya into two equal parts. To the one part add cocoa powder and combine well thoroughly until the khoya is well incorporated with the cocoa powder and turns brown in color.
- Spread ghee on a plate and spread the white milk khoya as the first layer. Using the back of a spoon spread well and make a square shape.
- Spread the chocolate khoya on top of the milk khoya and gently spread over it.
- Let rest for a few minutes to set.
- Cut into square or diamond shapes, garnish with almond or pistachios on each piece.
- Enjoy these delicious barfis that are made effortlessly.
You could add any kind of nuts or flavorings.