Delectable dessert with vermicelli & chia seeds…
Vermicelli is always found in my pantry if I’m hit with a sudden sweet craving or if I’ve to whip up a quick fix dessert I know I can count on vermicelli. So many sweets & desserts can be made out of it. One of the popular desserts in Kerala is semiya payasam, vermicelli is called Semiya in South India. It’s a very simple & humble dessert, vermicelli cooked in sweetened milk.
The other day while making vermicelli payasam I also added soaked chia seeds to it, that was the best decision ever. Though chia seeds don’t impart any taste or flavor, those transparent balls looked pretty.
This is an easy-to-make dessert, subtle tasting & so incredible.
- Ghee- 2 tbsp
- Roasted vermicelli- 1½ cups
- Sweetened condensed milk- 4 to 5 tbsp
- Milk- 2 cups
- Soaked chia seeds- ½ cup
- Saffron- 10 strands
- Ghee- 1 tbsp
- Cashew nuts- ½ cup
- Use roasted thin vermicelli, cooks faster & tastes better. Or use regular vermicelli.
- Soak 1 tbsp chia seeds in milk or coconut milk overnight or for 5 hours. Soaked chia seeds can be kept in the refrigerator for a week.
- Place a wide saucepan over medium heat.
- Add 2 tbsp ghee, add the vermicelli, roast for 2 minutes.
- Add condensed milk, combine well.
- Add milk, combine well.
- Add saffron.
- Cook till vermicelli turns soft.
- Add the soaked chia seeds, cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat, keep it covered.
- Place a small frying pan over medium heat.
- Add 1 tbsp ghee & add cashew nuts, roast till golden in color.
- Pour the roasted cashew nuts with ghee on the payasam.
- Serve into bowls & enjoy.
- Can be enjoyed warm or chilled.