Homemade shrimp tempura sushi at its best…
What a beautiful weekend it was! Even though Saturday was a bit cold, Sunday turned out to be gorgeous. I embraced the sunshine, the warmth and the nature…Here is the picture of Sunrise silhouette from my backyard.
Last week, I had been very lazy to cook and made real lousy dinners. I might become the queen of one pot meals pretty soon as I am totally into making easy one pot meals. So on Friday, I insisted that I make something different. Being a sushi freak, I thought making sushi would be the best. I had already tried making sushi with veggie filling in it so this time it was with shrimp. I am not yet comfortable making sushi with raw fish at home. I made shrimp tempura and made it into sushi. It tasted so incredibly delicious and I got two thumps up from my man.
Step by Step Pictures
- Shrimp, shelled and deveined- 15
- All purpose flour- ½ cup
- Water- ¼ cup + ⅛ cup
- Sesame seeds- 1 tbsp
- Oyster sauce- 1 tbsp (Optional)
- Salt- ½ tsp
- Oil- for deep frying
- Bread crumbs- enough to coat the shrimp
- Sticky rice, cooked- 2 cups
- Roasted seaweeds
- Avocado, cut small
- Cucumber, cut thin long
- In a bowl, combine flour, sesame seeds, oyster sauce, salt and water to make a thick batter.
- Heat a frying pan, add enough oil for deep frying.
- First, dip the shrimp in the flour batter.
- Then, coat the shrimp with bread crumbs.
- Deep fry till golden brown in color.
- Transfer to a paper towel and keep aside.
- Cook the sticky rice along with salt and water in a rice cooker. Let the sticky rice cool down.
- Place the bamboo mat on a chopping board or on a clean counter top.
- Place one roasted seaweed sheet over the mat.
- On the seaweed, evenly spread the sticky rice. Wet your hand with water and spread the rice so that it won't stick on the hand.
- Place avocados, cucumber and 3 shrimp tempura on one end of the rice layer.
- Roll along with the bamboo mat and tighten the roll.
- Unwrap the bamboo mat, you will have the rolled sushi.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the long rolls into 2 inch small rolls.
- Place on a platter and serve with soy sauce and pickled ginger.
- You could either have seaweed or rice as the outer layer.