Scrumptious chocolate chip cake with cream cheese-whipped cream frosting…
A special treat on special occasions or any day. Bake this delicious cake & frost with decadent cream cheese & whipped cream frosting.
This cake can be made the previous day & chilled in the refrigerator, will set beautifully.
If you don’t have sour cream, add non-sour yogurt instead.
Enjoy with your dear ones.
- Butter, unsalted and softened- 1½ sticks (1 stick=1/2 cup) or ¾ cup
- All-purpose flour, cake flour- 2¼ cups
- Baking soda- 1½ tsp
- Salt- 1 tsp
- Sugar, granulated- 1 cup
- Egg yolk- of 1 egg
- Eggs, large- 2
- Vanilla extract- ½ tbsp
- Sour cream- 1½ cups (or add non-sour yogurt)
- Milk- ¾ cup
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips- ¾ cup
- Cream Cheese- 450 grams or 16 oz
- Powdered sugar- ¾ cup
- Sweetened Cocoa powder- ¼ cup
- Heavy whipping cream, cold- 1 cup
- Preheat oven to 350 F or 175 C.
- Use a 9 inch springform pan or regular cake pan.
- Line the cake pan with parchment paper, and grease the sides & bottom with melted butter. Keep aside the pans.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt together.
- In a stand mixer or using an electric hand mixer, cream the butter and sugar together.
- Add the egg yolk, combine well.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beat well after each addition.
- Add vanilla extract and beat it.
- Combine the sour cream and milk in a measuring cup.
- Now, slowly add the flour in 3 additions, alternating with sour cream/milk mixture: beginning and ending with flour.
- Beat for a couple of minutes until well incorporated. Don't over beat the batter.
- Using a silicone spatula scrape down the sides of the bowl, to ensure even mixing.
- Add the chocolate chips and fold it into the batter.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared cake pan, fill only ¾ th of the pan as the batter will rise while baking. Spread the batter evenly with a spatula.
- Place the cake pan on the middle rack in the preheated oven.
- Bake for 55 minutes or until a fork inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the baked cake from the oven.
- If baked in a springform pan, remove the sides of the pan.
- Let the cake cool down completely.
- Into the bowl of a stand mixer (or use electric hand mixer) add the cream cheese, beat using paddle attachment until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar & cocoa powder; beat till smooth.
- Now, change to the whisk attachment and add the cold heavy whipping cream to the beaten cream cheese.
- Make sure the heavy whipping cream is cold.
- Whip the heavy cream till stiff peaks have formed.
- Cut the cake horizontally into 2 equal halves.
- Place one of the cake halves on a cake stand.
- Spread the top of the cake with frosting.
- Place the other cake half over the frosting.
- Frost the cake with the frosting. Use an angled spatula for a smooth finish.
- Decorate the cake the way you want.
- I used a 1 M star tip & decorated the cake with rose swirls. Placed some chocolate chips on the cake.
- Refrigerate the cake for 2 to 3 hours or overnight- the cake will set well when refrigerated.
- While serving, cut into wedges using a sharp knife.
- Leftover cakes can be refrigerated for a couple of days.
- Leftover frosting can be refrigerated, spread the frosting over bread or crepes and serve for breakfast.
- Enjoy with your dear ones.