Homemade Kadai chicken, tastes like restaurant-style…
Kadai chicken is a popular Indian gravy-based chicken dish, found on the menu of most Indian restaurants. This is a North Indian dish, enjoyed with naan, chapati, or basmati rice.
Making restaurant-style Kadai chicken in your kitchen is not that hard just follow this recipe and you’ll be seen licking your finger while enjoying this dish. This dish has to be cooked in an Iron Kadai or cast iron wok/pan, that’s when it will taste delicious. The aroma & flavor of this dish is further enhanced by the addition of roasted & ground whole spices. Chicken cooked in the amazing onion-tomato sauce along with the roasted spice mix, incredibly delicious chicken curry.
Restaurant Style Kadai Chicken- Popular Indian Recipe
Recipe type: Main
Serves: 5 people
- Coriander seeds- ½ tbsp
- Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
- Dried whole red chilies- 2 ( Kashmiri or regular chilies)
- Whole peppercorns- 1 tsp
For making the sauce
- Oil- 2 tbsp
- Garlic, chopped- 1 tbsp
- Ginger, chopped- 1 tbsp
- Onion, diced- 1 large
- Tomatoes, chopped- 2
- Salt- ½ tsp
For cooking kadai chicken
- Butter- 1 tbsp
- Dried bay leaf- 1
- Dried fenugreek leaves- 1 tbsp (or add dried oregano)
- Onion, diced- 1
- Turmeric powder- ¼ tsp
- Kashmiri chili powder- 1 tsp (for more heat add regular chili powder)
- Salt- 1½ tsp
- Boneless Chicken, diced- 2 chicken breasts
- Garam masala- 1 tsp
- Chopped cilantro- ¼ cup
- Place an iron kadai over medium heat.
- Add the whole spices for roasting.
- Roast for a few minutes till the spices turn aromatic.
- Remove the pan from the heat, let cool down.
- Grind the roasted whole spices to a fine powder. Keep aside.
- Place the iron kadai over medium heat, add oil.
- Add garlic & ginger; saute for 2 minutes.
- Add onion, season with ½ tsp salt.
- Saute till translucent.
- Add tomatoes, cook for 5 minutes till tomatoes turn slightly mushy.
- Remove the kadai from the heat, let cool down.
- Transfer to a blender jar, puree to a smooth paste. Keep aside.
- Clean the iron kadai well.
- Place over medium heat.
- Add butter, add dried bay leaf & dried fenugreek leaves; saute for a few seconds.
- Add diced onion, season with salt.
- Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add turmeric powder, Kashmiri chili powder & roasted ground spice mix. Combine well.
- Add the pureed onion-tomato sauce.
- Add 1 tsp salt, mix well.
- Cover with a lid & cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the diced boneless chicken or add bone-in chicken pieces, combine well.
- Cook covered for 20 minutes. Every 5 minutes, open the lid & combine well to ensure chicken & gravy haven't stuck to the bottom of the kadai.
- After chicken has cooked well & gravy thickened, add garam masala.
- Combine well, cook for a minute.
- Finally, add chopped cilantro.
- If you prefer, add ¼ cup cream and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat, keep covered.
- Serve with naan, chapati, roti or basmati rice.