A vegetarian side dish served along with Sadya…
It’s pumpkin season again and they are literally everywhere. Pumpkins are made into almost all forms: pies, cookies, cakes, breads, lattes with pumpkin spice and many more. I’d made pumpkin pie a few years ago from scratch, if you are looking for a recipe check this out: pumpkin pie recipe with step by step preparation method.
I made this vegetarian dish with pumpkin when I’d made Sadya. It’s called pulissery and the gravy is made of coconut and yogurt. I had made pulissery with cucumber, beetroot and pineapple before, so this time I tried with pumpkin. It tasted really good with pumpkin as well.
Pumpkin Pulissery -Pumpkin in Coconut-Yogurt Gravy
Recipe type: Vegetarian
Serves: 8 People
To cook pumpkin
- Pumpkin, diced- 3 cups
- Turmeric powder- ½ tsp
- Chili powder- ¼ tsp
- Water- ½ cup
- Salt- 1½ tsp
- Coconut, grated- ½ cup
- Green chilies- 2
- Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
- Curry leaves- 1 sprig
- Water-1/4 cup
- Yogurt- ½ cup
- Coconut oil- 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Whole dried red chili- 2
- Curry leaves- 5 leaves
- In a saucepan, combine pumpkin with the ingredients mentioned above “to cook pumpkin’ and cook covered till pumpkin has turned soft. Don’t over cook or mash it.
- In a blender, grind the above mentioned ingredients “to grind”.
- Add the ground coconut mixture to the cooked pumpkin, combine well and cook for a few minutes till the raw taste of coconut goes away.
- Add the yogurt to a bowl & beat well using a spoon or whisk.
- Remove the pumpkin mixture from the heat and immediately add yogurt to it, combine well.
- Heat over low heat for a couple of minutes.
- Taste and add more salt if needed.
For making seasoning
- Heat a small pan, add oil, let oil turn hot.
- Add mustard seeds, let splutter.
- Add dried red chilies roughly chopped and curry leaves, saute for a few seconds.
- Pour this seasoning over the pumpkin pulissery and cover the pan with its lid to lock the aroma of the seasoning.
- Serve as a side dish along with rice. This can be also served as one of the side dishes in Kerala Sadhya.
-You could replace pumpkin with pineapple, mango, plantain etc.