Potatoes in coconut milk, creamy and delicious…
This is one of my favorite potato dishes, potatoes cooked with simple spices and in coconut milk. This dish goes well with appam, chapati, naan etc.
After adding coconut milk
- Oil- 1½ tbsp
- Ginger, chopped small- 2 inch slice
- Garlic, chopped small- 2 cloves
- Green chili, chopped- 2 or 3
- Curry leaves- 1 sprig
- Onion, cut long and thin- 1, medium
- Potatoes, diced- 5, medium
- Water- ¾ cup
- Fennel powder- 1½ tsp
- Coriander powder- 1 tsp
- Ground pepper- 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder- ¼ tsp
- Coconut milk- 1 can or 400 mL
- Salt- to taste
- Cilantro, chopped- 2 handful
- Heat a large pan over medium heat, add oil.
- Add chopped ginger, garlic, green chilies and curry leaves, saute till ginger/garlic turns light golden in color.
- Add onion, and a few pinches of salt, saute till onions turn light golden.
- Add diced potatoes and water, cook covered till potatoes are fork tender.
- Add fennel powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and salt, combine well and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add coconut milk, combine well, cook covered till the gravy thickens.
- Taste and add more salt or ground pepper for spice if needed.
- Add cilantro, cook for a minute and remove the pan from the heat.
- Serve this mild and creamy potato stew with appam, chapati, naan etc