Potato spinach chapati or roti…
Chapati or roti is a staple food in Indian cuisine. It’s basically a flatbread made with wheat flour. In North India, chapati is eaten literally every day, enjoyed with both non-veg & veg curries.
On days when I’ve to make my chapati tastes even more delicious, I add cooked potatoes & spinach while kneading the dough. It will turn into a flavorful chapati & can be enjoyed with raita & pickle.
Potato Spinach Chapati or Roti | Indian Flatbread Recipe
Recipe type: Main
- Wheat flour or atta- 2 cups
- Cooked potatoes, mashed- 2 potatoes
- Spinach leaves- 1 cup, chopped
- Onions, chopped small- ¼ cup
- Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
- Chili powder- ½ tsp
- Coriander powder- 1 tsp
- Chaat masala- ½ tsp (optional)
- Cilantro, chopped- 2 tbsp
- Salt- 1 tsp
- Water- 1 cup
- Oil- 1 tbsp
- Wheat flour, to dust while rolling the dough
- Ghee- to spread over chapati
- To a bowl, add the flour along with cooked mashed potatoes, spinach, onion, cilantro, cumin seeds & all the spices.
- Any kind of spices can be added.
- Add water little by little & knead for at least 5 minutes to a soft & smooth dough.
- Don't make it into a hard dough.
- Add 1 tbsp oil over the dough & spread well.
- Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into medium-sized balls, will be able to make 12 balls.
- Dust a chapati wooden board or a clean surface with some wheat flour.
- Using a rolling pin roll it into a thin round shape. If sticky, dust with some more flour.
- Place a tawa over medium heat, and let turn hot.
- Grease the pan with ghee.
- Place the rolled dough, let the bottom side cook for 30 seconds; don't let the bottom side cook for more than 30 seconds, it will turn hard.
- Flip it over.
- Using a spatula press the edges & cook for a couple of minutes till golden brown spots form on the bottom side.
- Flip over & cook for a couple of minutes, press the edges using the spatula.
- Spread ½ tsp ghee over the chapati & transfer to a plate.
- The chapatis will be very soft.
- To keep the chapatis warm, either keep them in a warmer or cover the plate with aluminum foil.
- Enjoy with raita & pickle or have it with non-veg or veg curries.
- Leftovers can be kept in the refrigerator, while serving warm the chapatis in the microwave for 30 seconds.