Pepper Fish Gravy
A flavourful and elegant blend of black pepper corns,pearl onions and coconut milk , which can be served as a great side dish for Chapatis or any kind of Rotis.
Author: Shahina Rasi
Recipe type: Curry
Cuisine: Taste of Kerala
Serves: 4 People
- Fish(Preferably fleshy ones) : 3 to 4 pieces
- Pearl Onions : 4 to 5
- Ginger : a medium size piece
- Garlic : 1 to 2 cloves
- Green Chilies : 2
- Curry Leaves : 2 to 3 sprigs
- Crushed Black Pepper : 2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder : ½ tsp
- Coriander Powder : ½ tsp
- Thick Coconut Milk : ½ Cup
- Mustard Seeds- 2 tsp
- Tomato, cut into pieces : half of a big one
- Kokum or Kudampuli : a small piece (optional)
- Salt- to taste
- Oil- 2 tbsp
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, let it splutter.
- Add green chilies and curry leaves.
- Crush pearl onions, ginger and garlic together.
- Add the crushed mix and saute well
- When the raw smell goes away, add all the powders and saute again.
- Stir for 4 to 5 minutes over medium flame.
- Add half cup water and let it boil.
- Add fish pieces, salt and kokum or kudampuli, cover and cook.
- When the fish pieces are almost done, add the tomato pieces.
- Cover the pan and cook(tomatoes should not be overcooked).
- Finally add thick coconut milk and let it come to a boil.
- Add some curry leaves and switch off the flame.