Healthy & nutritious vegetarian curry made in the Instant Pot…
One of the greens I grow in my vegetable garden is Swiss chard, it grows so well without much care & can be harvested till September. I make a variety of dishes with it- Kerala-style thoran or stir fry with coconut, curries with lentils & legumes, etc.
One of the dishes I enjoy is Swiss chard & moong bean curry. Moong or mung bean is quite nutritious & has a rich creamy taste. I pressure-cooked this curry in the Instant pot & have added ground coconut to it followed by mustard seeds/chilies/curry leaves seasoning or tempering.
Tastes delicious & can be enjoyed with rice, chapati, appam, etc.
Moong Dal Swiss Chard Coconut Curry | Healthy Vegetarian Instant Pot Recipe
Recipe type: Main
Serves: 5 people
For cooking in Instant Pot
- Coconut oil- 1 tbsp
- Onion, chopped- 1
- Tomato, chopped- 1
- Swiss chard, chopped- 3 cups
- Whole moong dal or mung bean, rinsed- ½ cup
- Kashmiri chili powder- 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder- ¼ tsp
- Salt- 1 tsp
- Water- 2 cups
- Coconut, grated- 1 cup
- Green chili- 1
- Garlic cloves- 2
- Curry leaves- 5 leaves
- Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
- Water- ¾ cup
For making tempering
- Ghee- 2 tbsp
- Mustards seeds- 1 tsp
- Dried red chilies, halved- 2
- Curry leaves- 10 leaves
- I cooked this in the Instant Pot pressure cooker, you can cook it in a regular pressure cooker as well.
- Wash Swiss chard in running water & chop them well.
- Rinse moong dal in water, don't have to soak it.
- Instead of Swiss chard you can also use kale, beetroot leaves, spinach, etc.
- Turn on saute setting, medium or normal temperature. Let the stainless steel pot turn hot.
- Add oil, onion season with salt. Saute for a minute.
- Add tomato, saute for a minute.
- Add chopped swiss chard & rinsed moong dal, combine well.
- Add chili powder & turmeric powder, combine well.
- Add 2 cups water, combine well.
- Close the pot with the lid.
- Select pressure cook setting, set the time to 20 minutes at high pressure.
- In the meantime, to a blender jar add all the ingredients mentioned 'for grinding', grind to a coarse paste.
- After 20 minutes of pressure cooking, let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes & then do a quick pressure release.
- Open the lid, combine well.
- Turn on the saute setting at medium or normal temperature.
- Add the ground coconut, combine well & cook for 3 minutes.
- Add ½ tsp more salt, combine well.
- Cancel saute setting.
- Take the inner pot out of the main pot & keep it covered.
- Place a small frying pan over medium heat.
- Add ghee, let turn hot & add mustard seeds let them splutter.
- Add dried red chilies & curry leaves, saute for a few seconds.
- Pour the seasoning over the curry.
- Keep the curry covered for a few minutes.
- Enjoy this delicious vegetarian curry with rice, chapati, appam, etc.