Dates crepes filled with chocolate frosting and nuts, a perfectly delicious breakfast…
What kind of dates did I use to make these crepes??? Medjool Dates! Medjool dates are known as the “King of dates” because of their large size and exquisite taste. They are also hard to grow and thus rare. There are typically three main varieties of dates: soft, semi-dry and dry. Medjool dates are the soft dates.
When grocery shopping, I usually come across the medjool dates by Natural delights. I often buy this product as their dates taste really good and they have an attractive texture. Their dates are 100% natural, fat free and don’t have any preservatives or added flavorings. Without a doubt, these are my favorite medjool dates.
Natural Delights Medjool Dates, a brand of Medjool Dates that are grown in the Bard Valley, which straddles California and Arizona. Medjool Dates are a fresh date with a deep amber colour and they have a crinkly skin that shimmers with natural sugar crystals. Inside, the texture is caramel-like and chewy. In fact, Medjools practically melt in your mouth.
If you haven’t tasted Natural Delights Medjool dates yet, I would strongly recommend it. Give it a try and I know you’ll love it.
These dates are so tasty and soft that you’ll just want to have them straight out of the box. Dates are rich in iron, fiber, other essential minerals and have remarkable health benefits. Having a few dates everyday for breakfast is really good. Also you can have it after a heavy meal instead of dessert.
So many dishes can be whipped up easily with dates. Dates smoothie, dates muffin, dates cake, dates rice, dates chutney, dates pancake; the list is endless. One of my most favorite cakes is indeed Dates cake.
While thinking of making a new dish with dates, I was hit by the idea of dates crepes. Sounded excellent and I just went ahead and made it. It turned out to be so tasty. Since I added dates while making the batter I didn’t add sugar. The sweet dates imparted the needed sweetness to the crepes. For making the crepes even more yummy, I filled the dates crepes with chocolate frosting and nuts. I can easily say that this is one of the best crepes I have ever made and I served this for breakfast today.
Giveaway: Natural Delights Medjool dates gift voucher worth $15.99.
I will randomly pick two winners. This gift voucher can be shipped to anywhere in Canada.
The giveaway ends on Sunday, September 1st 2013.
All you have to do is leave a comment below with your answer to the question: What is your favorite dish made with dates???
So, dear readers get ready and post your answers. You don’t want to miss this delicious medjool dates.
For more dates recipes, click here.
The Winners are: Athir Jisrawi and Priyanka Sethumadhavan.
Homemade Chocolate Frosting recipe: This recipe makes a lot of frosting, so please cut the recipe in half or even quarter it ( if making for 4 people).
Spread with chocolate frosting
Garnished with nuts
- Medjool dates by Natural delights, pitted and chopped- 6
- All purpose flour- 1 cup
- Milk- 1¼ cups or enough to make a smooth and flowing batter
- Vanilla extract- 1 tsp
- Butter, unsalted- ½ tbsp/ crepes, for cooking crepes
- Chocolate frosting or any kind of frosting
- Almonds, sliced
- Walnuts, chopped
- In a blender, combine the dates, flour, milk and vanilla extract and blend to a smooth batter. The batter should be flowing and smooth.
- Place a large non-stick pan over medium heat, add ½ tbsp butter and let it melt.
- Pour one to two large spoonful of dates batter, using the back of your spoon spread it and make into large round shape.
- Let the bottom side cook, flip it over and cook the other side too. Transfer to a plate.
- While making the next crepes, remove the pan from the heat, let the hot pan cool down for a minute and then pour the batter. If you pour the batter over a hot pan it gets hard to spread it evenly.
- After the crepes have cooled down a bit, spread the chocolate frosting over it.
- Garnish with 1 handful almonds and walnuts.
- Fold the crepe to a semi circle, again fold it to make a triangular shape.
- If you prefer, while serving you could even drizzle chocolate syrup over the dates crepes.
- Serve this for breakfast or brunch and enjoy with your family.