Coconut rice, a family favorite dish…
In Kerala, coconut rice is made with rosematta or Kerala matta rice. Matta rice is the red rice that is highly nutritious and healthy.
This is how coconut rice is made by my grandma & mom & is a family favorite.
I cooked this in the Instant Pot. You can also use the regular pressure cooker.
In the Instant pot, rice: liquid ratio should be accurate to make the perfect fluffy coconut rice and to avoid the burn error. For 2 cups rice, 3 1/2 cups liquid has to be added. I’ve added 2 1/2 cups of coconut milk and 1 cup of water. Similar to brown rice, matta rice also requires 25 minutes of pressure cooking.
Follow this recipe to make the perfect coconut rice. Coconut rice served with chicken, mutton or beef curry tastes delicious.
- Garlic- 2 cloves
- Ginger- 2-inch slice
- Green chilies- 2
- Coconut oil- 2 tbsp
- Whole cinnamon- 2-inch slice
- Fenugreek seeds- 1 tsp (optional)
- Onion, sliced- 1
- Curry leaves- 10 leaves
- Salt- 1½ tsp
- Coconut milk- 2½ cups
- Water- 1 cup
- Kerala matta rice- 2 cups
- For making this Kerala matta rice has to be added, tastes the best with this rice.
- Take Kerala matta rice in a strainer & rinse under running water till water turns clear. Keep it aside.
- In a blender or food processor, coarsely grind garlic, ginger and green chilies.
- I'm using my Instant Pot to pressure cook, you can also use a regular pressure cooker.
- Turn on Saute setting at medium temperature.
- Let the stainless steel pot turn hot.
- Add coconut oil.
- Add the coarsely ground ginger-garlic-green chilies, saute for 2 minutes.
- Add whole cinnamon & fenugreek seeds.
- Adding fenugreek seeds is optional.
- Add onion and curry leaves, season with ½ tsp salt; saute for 2 minutes.
- Add 2½ cups of coconut milk and 1 cup water. Combine well.
- Let the liquid come to a slight boil.
- Add the matta rice, season with 1 tsp more salt.
- Close the pot with the lid.
- Cancel Saute setting.
- Select Pressure cook setting, at high pressure, set the time to 25 minutes.
- If cooking in regular pressure cooker, add 3 cups coconut milk & 1 cup water for 2 cups rice. Cook till 3 whistles, matta rice requires more cooking time.
- After 25 minutes of pressure cooking, let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes & then do a quick pressure release.
- Open the lid, coconut rice will be perfectly cooked. Fluff the rice with a fork.
- Take the stainless pot out of the main pot.
- Cover the pot with the lid and keep aside for a few minutes.
- Serve coconut rice along with chicken, mutton or beef curry.