Chana dal cooked with jaggery & coconut milk, a sweet dish made in the Instant Pot…
Pradhaman is a Kerala specialty dessert made with coconut milk & jaggery is used for sweetening this dessert. For making this dessert either mung dal, chana dal, ada or rice pasta can be added. I made this with chana dal.
Instant Pot Kadala Parippu Pradhaman - Chana Dal Pradhaman- Instant Pot Kerala Sadya Recipes
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 6 People
- Chana dal or Kadala parippu- 1 cup
- Water, to cook chana dal- 1½ cups
- Jaggery- 250 gm or depending on your sweet level (dissolved in ¾ cup water)
- Thin Coconut milk- 2½ cups
- Thick coconut milk- 1 cup
- Whole Cardamom, crushed- 2
- Cashew nuts, roasted in ½ tbsp ghee- ¼ cup
- Coconut slices, roasted in ½ tbsp ghee- ¼ cup
- Raisins, roasted in ½ tbs ghee- 1 tsp (optional)
- Ghee- 3 to 4 tbsp
- Rinse the chana dal in water.
- Turn on the Instant Pot. Or use a regular pressure cooker.
- To the stainless steel pot, add chana dal along with 1½ cups water.
- Close the pot with the lid.
- Select pressure cook setting.
- Set time to 25 minutes at high pressure.
- After 25 minutes of pressure cooking, do a quick pressure release.
- Open the lid.
- Using a wooden spoon slightly mash the cooked chana dal, don't make into a smooth paste.
- Let it be coarsely mashed.
- Place a saucepan over medium low heat, combine jaggery with water.
- Let the jaggery dissolve in water completely. Keep aside the melted jaggery.
- To the mashed chana dal, add the melted jaggery.
- Select saute setting at normal temperature.
- Add 3 tbsp ghee to the chana dal and cook for 5 minutes. keep stirring and ensure the dal doesn't get stuck to the bottom of the pot.
- Add the crushed whole cardamoms.
- Add the thin coconut milk, keep stirring, cook till the mixture has slightly thickened.
- Have a taste, if you need more sugar add some grated jaggery according to your needs.
- In the meantime, roast cashew nuts, raisins and coconut slices in ghee.
- Add, the thick coconut milk, combine well and cook for 3 minutes.
- Finally, add the roasted cashew nuts, raisins & coconut slices, combine well.
- Remove the pot from the main pot; keep it covered for sometime.
- Serve in a dessert bowl and enjoy.
- This is one of the desserts served in Kerala Sadya.