Fall apart and tender whole chicken made in the Instant Pot…
I like cooking with whole chicken and my hubs like the whole chicken to be well cooked and tender. Both these requirements are possible when the whole chicken is cooked in the Instant Pot. In the IP, it will take 20 minutes of pressure cooking to make fall apart whole chicken.
I seasoned the whole chicken with aromatic Indian spices and let marinate for 2 hours. Pressure cooked in the IP. The flavorful liquid left after cooking the whole chicken can be used for cooking basmati rice, the rice will get aromatic and delicious as the liquid is packed with flavors.
Instant Pot Fall Apart Whole Chicken- 20 Minutes Instant Pot Whole Chicken
Recipe type: Main
- Whole Chicken- 1.5 Kg or 3 Lb
For making the marinade
- Chili powder- ½ tbsp
- Turmeric powder- ½ tsp
- Cumin powder- 1 tsp
- Coriander powder- 2 tbsp
- Garam Masala- ½ tbsp
- Paprika- ½ tbsp
- Salt- 2 tsp
- Ground black pepper- ½ tsp
- Lemon juice- from ½ lemon
- Water- 2 tbsp
For cooking Basmati Rice with veggies
- Onion, chopped- 1 cup
- Carrot, chopped- 2
- Green beans, frozen- ½ cup
- Potatoes, chopped- ½ cup
- Basmati Rice, rinsed- 1½ cups
- Chicken stock- 1¾ cups (liquid that's left in the pot after cooking whole chicken)
- Ghee- 1 tsp
- Salt- ¼ tsp
- Cilantro, chopped- ¼ cup
- Clean the whole chicken and rinse under running water. Place it in a large bowl.
- Using a knife, add gashes or lines over the breast, legs and thighs.
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients mentioned 'for making the marinade". Combine well and make into a smooth paste.
- Spread the marinade over the whole chicken, spread it inside as well.
- Cover the bowl with a plastic wrap and let marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours of marination. Take the whole chicken out of the refrigerator.
Cooking Whole chicken in the Instant Pot
- Turn on the Instant Pot.
- Add ½ cup water to the stainless steel pot.
- Place the marinated whole chicken breast side down into the stainless steel pot.
- Close with the lid.
- Turn on Pressure cook Mode. High pressure, set time to 20 Minutes. click start in IP Ultra model.
- After 20 minutes pressure cooking, let pressure release naturally for 15 minutes. After that do a quick pressure release.
- Open the lid.
- The whole chicken will be cooked well and the meat will be falling apart the bones.
- Using a spatula and tongs gently take the whole chicken out of the pot and place on a platter, keep covered.
Cooking Basmati Rice
- I measured the liquid or chicken stock that's left in the pot after cooking whole chicken- around 2 cups liquid was there. Use 1¾ cups chicken stock to cook basmati rice. Remaining ¼ cup chicken stock, save it-can be used to pour over the chicken while serving. This liquid is packed with flavors and aroma.
- Into the stainless steel pot after emptying the chicken stock, add onions and veggies.
- Add basmati rice that was rinsed under running water. Don't have to soak the rice.
- Add 1¾ cups of chicken stock for 1½ cups rice.
- Add ghee, salt and cilantro; combine well.
- Close the pot with the lid.
- Select the Pressure cook mode.
- Set time to 5 minutes, at high pressure and click start in IP Ultra model.
- After 5 minutes of pressure cooking, do a quick pressure release.
- Open the lid.
- Fluff the rice with fork, serve into a bowl.
- Serve the rice along with fall apart whole chicken. Pour the remaining chicken stock over the chicken while serving. Enjoy this complete meal.
If you prefer the cooked whole chicken to be intact, reduce the pressure cooking time to 15 minutes.
Note: If you prefer the cooked whole chicken to be intact, reduce the cooking time to 15 minutes.