Beef Rogan Josh, a signature dish in Kashmiri Cuisine…
One of the favorite Indian dishes of my Man and me is Rogan josh. While I order beef rogan josh, my Man will go with lamb rogan josh and we will be seen enjoying it with naan. Making homemade rogan josh that tastes like restaurant-style is not that hard- just follow this recipe and your taste buds will be on cloud nine.
It’s all about the aromatic whole spices that are used in this recipe and the marinated meat. Whole spices like cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, star anise, peppercorns, and cumin are coarsely ground and added to the oil. Onion is cooked till browned and marinated beef is cooked along with it. The whole spices and saffron make this dish extremely aromatic and fragrant.
I made this in the Instant Pot- cooked the beef for 25 minutes at high pressure.
Absolutely finger-licking delicious beef rogan josh.
- Beef or Lamb- 1 Kg or ½ lb
- Ginger, grated- 1 tbsp
- Garlic, grated- 1 tbsp
- Saffron strands- 2 pinches
- Yogurt- 1 cup
- Salt- 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
- Black peppercorns- 1 tsp
- Whole cardamom- 3
- Whole cloves- 2
- Whole cinnamon- 1 inch slice
- Star Anise- 1
- Oil- 2 tbsp
- Onions, sliced thin- 2
- Kashmiri Chili powder- 2 tsp (mild and intense red color)
- Turmeric powder- ⅛ tsp
- Coriander powder- ½ tbsp
- Garam Masala- 1 tsp
- Salt- 1 tsp
- Cilantro, chopped- 2 handfuls
- For making this dish, you could either use beef or lamb.
- In a large bowl, combine beef with all the ingredients mentioned 'for marinating beef'. Let marinate for an hour or longer or overnight.
- Using a mortar and pestle, grind the above-mentioned whole spices coarsely.
- If you don't have a mortar and pestle- add the whole spices to a ziplock bag and crush using a rolling pin. Keep it aside.
- Turn on the Instant Pot.
- Select Saute Mode- Normal Temperature. Let display turn Hot.
- Add oil and add the ground whole spices, sauce for a minute till aromatic.
- Add sliced onions, season with ½ tsp salt. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the marinated beef, combine well.
- Add Kashmiri chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala and ½ tsp salt, combine well.
- Do not add water.
- Close the pot with the lid.
- Cancel Saute mode and Select Pressure cook mode.
- Set the time to 25 minutes, pressure should be high.
- After 25 minutes of pressure cooking, let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes & then do a quick pressure release.
- Open the lid.
- The beef will be perfectly cooked & fork-tender.
- If the gravy is thin, cook in saute mode for a few minutes till the gravy thickens.
- Add the chopped cilantro, combine well.
- Remove the stainless pot from the main pot and keep it covered for a few minutes.
- This is an extremely flavourful and fragrant dish, can be served with chapati, naan or basmati rice.
Or cook in a large pot over stove top, add water accordingly & cook till beef has turned fork tender.