A South Indian breakfast dish that’s healthy and can be made effortlessly…
Traditional Uthappam is made with the batter used for making dosa or idli (rice-urad dal batter). It’s more like a thick dosa topped with onions, carrots, green chilies etc. In this recipe, instant oats and semolina are combined along with mixed veggies and yogurt and made into a thick batter. Cooked on a tawa like we make pancake. Easy to make, healthy and delicious oats-semolina uthappams are ready in no time.
- Instant Oat- 1 cup
- Semolina or Rava- 1 cup
- Ginger, grated- 1 inch slice
- Cumin seeds- ½ tsp
- Green Chili, chopped small- 1 or 2
- Buttermilk- 1 cup (or add ½ cup thick yogurt + ½ cup water)
- Water- 1 cup
- Salt- ½ tsp
- Green onions, chopped- 2 tbsp
- Carrot, grated- ¼ cup
- Beans, cut small- ¼ cup
- Into a blender or food processor, coarsely grind instant oats.
- Into a large bowl: add ground oats, semolina, ginger, cumin seeds and green Chili. Combine well.
- Add buttermilk and water, combine well and make into a thick batter.
- Add salt, green onions, carrot and beans, combine well.
- Place a pan over medium heat.
- Grease with oil.
- Pour a large spoonful of oats-semolina batter. Cover with a lid.
- Let bottom side cook well, flip over and cook the other side as well.
- Transfer to a plate.
- Serve along with chutney or sambar.