Let’s turn ripe bananas into a healthy & delicious banana bread…
When I find ripe bananas, without any second thoughts they will be turned into banana bread. I have got the best recipe for making the banana bread, this time I tweaked the recipe a bit & gave a healthy twist by replacing white refined sugar with unrefined jaggery or palm sugar.
The banana bread turned out moist, soft & delicious, the outside of the bread has a nice crust & golden brown color.
- Ripe bananas- 2, medium-sized
- Melted butter, unsalted- ⅓ cup
- Egg- 1
- All purpose flour- 1½ cups
- Jaggery or Palm sugar, ground- ¾ cup
- Baking soda- 1 tsp
- Ground cardamom - ½ tsp
- Salt- ¼ tsp
- Almonds or walnuts or pecans, chopped- ¼ cup
- Preheat the oven to 350 F or 175 C.
- If the jaggery is in solidified form, crush that in a mortar using a pestle, we'll need ¾ cup of ground jaggery.
- In a bowl: combine flour, jaggery, baking soda, ground cardamom, and salt.
- In another bowl, mash the ripe bananas using a fork or potato masher until smooth and without any lumps.
- Add the melted butter & egg. Combine well using a whisk till smooth.
- Slowly add the prepared dry ingredients or flour mix into the banana mixture, combine well using a silicone spatula until the batter has a smooth constituency.
- Add the chopped nuts of your choice, combine well.
- Grease a loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray or butter.
- Pour the batter into the pan, even out the top.
- Place in the preheated oven on the middle rack and bake for 45 to 50 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, insert a fork into the center of the bread, if it comes out clean it has baked well. Otherwise, bake for 5 more minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven, let cool down a bit and gently slide the bread onto a wire rack. Let cool down completely.
- Slice using a sharp knife.
- Enjoy along with a cup of tea or coffee.
- Leftover bread can be refrigerated, the chilled banana bread tastes more delicious.