Hakka chili Chicken- Indo-Hakka style…
This is an Indian style of making Hakka chili chicken. Hakka cuisine is the cooking style of Hakka people mostly found in Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia etc. In India, while making Hakka dishes the recipes are mostly tweaked and some Indian spices are added to it, very similar to Indo-Chinese cuisine.
Hakka Chili Chicken- Indo Chinese Style
Recipe type: Main
Cuisine: Indo Chinese
For marinating and shallow frying chicken
- Chicken breasts or thighs, boneless and cubed- 2 breasts or thighs
- Ground pepper- ½ tsp
- Salt- a few pinches
- Corn Starch- 3 tbsp
- Oil- enough to shallow fry
For making the sauce
- Water- 1 cup
- Corn starch- 1 tbsp
- Soy Sauce- 3 tbsp
- Tomato Ketchup- 1 tbsp
- Oil- 2 tbsp
- Onion, chopped small- 2
- Ginger, chopped- 2 inch slice
- Garlic, chopped- 2 cloves
- Green chilies, halved- 2
- Cumin powder- ½ tsp
- Coriander powder- 1 tsp
- Chili powder- ½ to ¾ tsp (optional if you want this dish to be spicy)
- Green onions, chopped- 2 stalks
- Cilantro, chopped- 2 handfuls
- In a bowl, combine together chicken, ground pepper, salt and corn starch. Keep aside for 5 minutes.
- Place a saucepan over medium heat, add enough oil for shallow frying.
- Add the marinated chicken to the oil and shallow fry till golden in color.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate lined with kitchen paper towel.
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients mentioned for 'making the sauce'.
- Use the same pan, add 2 tbsp oil used for shallow frying chicken.
- Add chopped onions, saute for 2 minutes.
- Add ginger, garlic and green chilies, saute till onions turn light golden in color.
- Add cumin powder, coriander powder and chili powder, combine well and cook for a few seconds.
- Add the shallow fried chicken to the pan, combine well.
- Add the prepared sauce and combine well and cook till the gravy thickens.
- Add green onions and cilantro, stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Serve with rice, noodles, roti etc.