Chicken pesto pasta, a delicious one pot meal…
Hope everyone had a wonderful Eid with family and friends. I attended an Eid potluck party hosted by a dear friend and had a great time. I took two of my favorite dishes: Pistachio Saffron pudding and Chicken pesto pasta. The pudding was a huge hit, everyone loved it.
This chicken pesto pasta is a delicious one pot meal that can be made effortlessly and is perfect to take for potluck parties. I have to tell you that this is one dish that I make quite often as I am a pesto freak and can be served for lunch or dinner and great for taking to work.
- Oil- 3 tbsp
- Onion, chopped- 2
- Ground chicken or beef- 2 lbs or 1 Kg
- Red pepper, chopped small- 1
- Green pepper, chopped small- 2
- Tomatoes, chopped- 2
- Basil Pesto- 1½ cups (homemade or store-bought)
- Tomato sauce- 2 cups
- Ground pepper- 2 tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Parmesan Cheese- to garnish while serving
- Pasta, Rotini or Penne- 4 to 5 cups (or 1 Kg)
- Water- enough to cook pasta
- Salt- a few pinches
- Fill up ¾ of a large pot with water, heat the water and let it come to a rolling boil.
- Season with salt and add the pasta. Cook till pasta turns fork tender. Do not over cook the pasta.
- Drain the water and keep aside the pasta. Drizzle oil over the pasta and combine well to avoid the pasta from sticking together.
- Place a large wide non-stick cooking pan over medium heat, add oil.
- Add onions, season with salt and saute till light golden in color.
- Add ground chicken or beef, break the meat using a wooden spoon to remove any lumps.
- Season with 1 tsp ground pepper.
- Cover the pan with its lid and cook till the meat has almost cooked.
- Add red pepper, green pepper and tomatoes, cook covered till veggies turn tender.
- Add the Basil Pesto, combine well.
- Add tomato sauce and season with 1 tsp ground pepper and more salt if needed.
- Cook covered for a few minutes till the sauce has heated up well.
- Add the cooked pasta into the pesto sauce and combine well into the sauce.
- Remove the pan from the heat and keep covered for sometime.
- While serving, you could sprinkle some parmesan cheese.
- Enjoy this delicious chicken pesto pasta.