Fish and Okra did get along well, tasted delicious…
I made this stir fry or roast with whiting fish, this fish tastes so delicious. This was the second time I am trying whiting, I loved the mild fish taste and the soft fleshy texture of it. I do love roasts better than fish curries. While making roasts, I pan fry the fish and then combine the fish with onions and other ingredients, pan frying does make the fish taste much delicious. This time, I combined the pan fried fish with okra, it was a terrific combination.
Frying ginger, garlic, green chilies in oil
After adding tomatoes
After adding fish
After adding sesame seeds
- Fish cubed- 10 pieces (whiting, king fish or any fleshy fish)
- Ginger garlic paste- 1 tbsp
- Kashmiri red chili powder- 1 tsp
- Fennel powder- 1 tsp
- Coriander powder- 1 tsp
- Garam masala- ½ tsp
- Curry leaves- 2 sprig
- Lemon juice- 1 tbsp
- Salt- to taste
- Oil- 4 to 5 tbsp for frying
- Oil- 2 tbsp used for pan frying fish
- Mustard seeds- 1½ tsp
- Ginger, chopped- 2 inch slice
- Garlic, chopped- 3 cloves, large
- Green chilies, chopped- 2
- Curry leaves- 1 sprig
- Onion, chopped- 2, large
- Okra or Lady's finger, halved- 12
- tomatoes, chopped- 2
- Chili powder- ½ tsp
- Coriander powder- ½ tsp
- Garam masala- ¼ tsp
- Sesame seeds, black- 2 tbsp
- In a bowl, combine the fish with above mentioned ingredients for marinating fish except oil, Keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Place a frying pan over medium heat, add 4 to 5 tbsp oil and pan fry fish till it gets golden brown. Transfer to a paper towel.
- Add a few tablespoons of water to the bowl in which the fish was marinated, there will be some marinade left in the bowl, combine with it and keep aside.
- Place a large non-stick pan over medium heat, add the oil used for pan frying fish.
- Add mustard seeds, let it splutter.
- Add chopped ginger and garlic, saute till light golden in color.
- Add curry leaves and green chilies, saute for a minute.
- Add onions, and a few pinches of salt, saute till translucent.
- Add halved okra, cook covered till okra has turned tender. If it gets dry sprinkle a little water while cooking it.
- Add tomatoes, cook till tomatoes are just done.
- Add the fish marinade that's mixed with water to the veggies, combine well.
- Add chili powder, coriander powder and garam masala, combine well.
- Cook covered for a few minutes.
- Finally, add the sesame seeds, combine well without breaking the fish. Cook for a minute and remove from the pan.
- Serve with rice, chapati, roti etc.