Appams or laced rice crepes, Kerala & Srilankan breakfast dish…
Making appam is an art & is very interesting. It’s basically rice coconut crepes, popular in Kerala & Srilanka. For making appam, first, we have to make the batter and the batter has to be fermented. I use my Instant Pot yogurt setting for fermenting the appam batter.
For making appams, we have to have appam pans- the pan has a dip in the center, available at Indian stores and on Amazon. Both non-stick & cast iron appam pans are available.
For breakfast, I crack an egg to the appam seasoned with ground pepper & paprika. Looks beautiful, it’s healthy & tastes delicious.
Egg Appam | Laced Rice Coconut Crepes | Kerala Srilankan Breakfast Recipe
Recipe type: Main
Serves: 15 Appam
For making batter
- White Raw Rice- 1 cup ( Sona Masoori or Ponni rice)
- Grated coconut- ½ cup
- Cooked white, brown or rosematta rice- ¼ cup
- Coconut milk- 1 cup
- Water- 1½ cups
- Water- ¼ cup, to thin down batter
- Baking soda- ½ tsp
- Salt- ½ tsp
- Ground black pepper
- Paprika (optional)
- Firstly, soak the rice in water for 4 to 5 hours.
- Sona Masoori or Ponni (available at Indian stores) or any kind of less starchy white raw rice can be used.
- To a blender jar or grinder: add soaked rice, grated coconut, cooked rice, coconut milk and water, grind to a smooth fine batter.
- The batter has to be fermented. I use my Instant Pot for fermentation.
- Pour the batter into the stainless steel pot. Close with the lid.
- Select Yogurt setting, time 8 hours at medium temperature.
- If you don't have an Instant Pot & living in a warm place: Pour the batter into a large bowl and keep covered on the countertop overnight to ferment.
- If you don't have an Instant Pot & living in a cold place, warm up the oven at the lowest temperature- 150 F or 65 C for 3 minutes, turn off the oven, place the batter covered inside the oven and keep it overnight.
- After 8 hours, the batter will be well fermented.
- Fermented batter will be thick, add ¼ cup water to thin down the batter. Don't make into a watery batter, has to be slightly thick.
- Add baking soda and salt to the batter, combine well.
- Keep the batter aside for 10 minutes.
- Place the appam pan over medium heat, let turn hot.
- Grease the pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Remove the pan from the heat, pour 1 large spoonful of batter onto the pan and swirl the pan, let the batter spread on the sides of the pan.
- For making egg appam, ensure the center of the appam is not thick.
- Close the pan with its lid and cook till the appam center has almost cooked.
- Crack an egg onto the center, swirl to spread the egg white, the yolk should be on the center of the appam.
- Close with the lid, cook till the egg white has cooked.
- Season with ground black pepper & paprika. Cook for a minute.
- Open the lid, using a flat spatula remove the appam from the pan and transfer to a plate.
- Egg appams can be enjoyed as it is or can be served with chutney.
- Regular appams go well with any kind of curries- chicken, mutton, beef, fish, egg or veg curries.