Mango Phirni- an incredible chilled dessert made with ripe mangoes…
When mangoes are in season, you gotta make mango phirni- it’s an easy to make dessert, rich, creamy and tastes delicious. For me, any dessert that has ripe mangoes in it are delicious. Here is yet another easy mango dessert that you can try: mango pudding.
This is an Indian dessert- thickened milk, ground rice and dried nuts are first cooked well and then mango puree is added to it and chilled. Ground rice when cooked will make this dessert thick, it will resemble to custard. Tastes incredible when chilled, an absolute favorite dessert for summer.
- Whole milk- 4 cups
- Basmati rice- ¼ cup soaked in water for 30 mins
- Sugar- ¾ cup (or use ½ cup condensed milk)
- Cardamom powder- ¼ tsp
- Saffron- 2 pinches soaked in 1 tbsp water
- Dried nuts, chopped- ¼ cup (I used almonds & pistachios)
- Mango puree- 1 cup
- Pistachios, chopped- to garnish
- Soak basmati rice in water for 30 minutes till it turns soft. Grind along with ¼ cup water or milk to a coarse grainy paste. Keep aside.
- Place a wide non-stick cooking pan over medium heat, add milk, let it come to a slight boil. Simmer and let cook till milk has thickened and reduced to half of its original quantity.
- Add ground basmati rice, combine well.
- Add cardamom powder, saffron and sugar or condensed milk.
- Combine well and keep stirring till rice has cooked well, keep stirring else lumps will form.
- Add dried nuts, cook for a few minutes.
- Lower the heat, add mango puree and combine well till well incorporated.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Let cool down for sometime.
- Pour into dessert bowls and chill in the refrigerator for an hour.
- While serving, garnish with chopped pistachios. If you want you could also drizzle mango puree on top. Enjoy.