South Indian comfort food…
Curd or yogurt rice is one of the comfort foods in South India and is enjoyed by both vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike. This is a humble and simple food when eaten with pickle tastes absolutely delicious.
- Oil- 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Chana Dal- 1 tbsp
- Urad Dal- ½ tbsp
- Dried red chilies, whole- 3
- Curry leaves- 1 sprig
- Turmeric powder- ¼ tsp
- Asafoetida- ⅛ tsp
- Cooked rice- 3 cups
- Yogurt or curd- 1½ cups
- Salt- 1 tsp
- Use sona massori or ponni rice for making this.
- Place a large wok over medium heat, add oil.
- Add mustard seeds, let splutter.
- Add chana dal & urad dal; saute till they turn golden brown in color.
- Roughly half the dried red chilies, add that and curry leaves, saute for a few seconds.
- Add turmeric powder & asafoetida, saute in the oil for a couple of seconds.
- Add the cooked rice & salt, stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Take curd in a bowl, whish well using a spoon.
- Add the curd to the rice, combine well.
- Lower the heat, cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove the wok from the heat.
- Serve yogurt or curd rice along with pickle.
Step by Step Pictures: