Moist & delicious pistachio saffron cake.
One of the combos I love the most is pistachio & saffron, it’s just absolutely divine.
A cake made with ground pistachios & saffron is what you need that will take your tastebuds to a delicious world.
I skipped the frosting part & drizzled this moist cake with a simple sugar-saffron syrup. It was incredibly delish. This cake with the sugar-saffron syrup tasted like gulab jamun.
- Coarsely ground pistachios- ¾ cup, unsalted pistachios
- All purpose flour- 1⅙ cups
- Baking powder- 1 tsp
- Baking soda- ¼ tsp
- Salt- ½ tsp
- Butter, unsalted & softened- ¾ stick or 85g
- White sugar- ¾ + ⅛ cups
- Egg whites- 3, at room temperature
- Vanilla extract- 1 tsp
- Thick Greek yogurt or sour cream- ¼ cup
- Saffron strands- 10 strands
- Milk- ½ cup
- Sugar- ¼ cup
- Water- ½ cup
- Saffron strands- 8 strands
- Preheat the oven to 350 F or 177 C.
- Grease a 9-inch round cake pan with butter & line with parchment paper.
- Coarsely grind whole unsalted pistachios, should be around ¾th cup. Don't grind to a fine powder.
- In a bowl combine all the dry ingredients, keep it aside.
- To a large bowl, add butter & sugar; using an electric hand mixer beat at high speed till smooth & creamy.
- You can also use a stand mixer with paddle attachment.
- Separate the egg whites from 3 eggs, add that & beat well.
- Add vanilla extract, beat for a few seconds.
- Add yogurt or sour cream, beat for a minute.
- Using a silicone spatula scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the saffron, beat well.
- Add the dry ingredients, beat for 2 minutes.
- Add milk & beat till well incorporated. Don't overbeat the batter.
- Pour the cake batter onto the pan, smoothen the top.
- Place in the preheated oven & bake for 35 to 40 minutes or till a fork inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Run a knife through the sides of the cake to detach the cake from the pan, gently flip it over to a cake stand or platter.
- Let cool down completely.
- In the meantime, let's make the simple sugar syrup.
- Place a saucepan over medium heat, add the sugar, water & saffron.
- Combine well & cook till sugar has completely dissolved in water.
- Lower the heat & simmer for 3 minutes.
- Take the saucepan out of the heat & let cool down completely. Can be kept in the refrigerator.
- After the cake has cooled down, using a fork prick the cake.
- Drizzle the cake with 3 tbsp of sugar-saffron syrup (don't pour the entire sugar syrup over the cake). Let rest for some time.
- Slice the cake into 8 wedges.
- Serve on a plate, if you need more sugar syrup drizzle a tbsp more on the cake slice.
- Top with pistachios & enjoy.
- The cake can be chilled in the refrigerator, tastes even more delish.
- Leftover cake can be stored in the refrigerator for 5 days.
Instead of sugar syrup, the cake can be frosted with cream cheese frosting.